Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • The Transcend cards write at 19MB/s and the SanDisk Extreme at 25MB/s (advertised speeds are different from real word speeds). Try it out with speed test applications like those from Black Magic. UHS-1 cards suffer on the GH2 (at least the 45MB/s SanDisk cards).

I think it is the general consensus that SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s cards are the best cards you can get. I forgot to add that Transcend Ultimate Class 10 cards work for 90% of the settings posted here and offer the most value for the money.
  • Hello, everybody, I was wondering what last 220/GOP1 patch may bring to high-iso game, so this vid is shot at twilight, ISO1600, 1/1600 sec. (anyway lens was too speedy to allow less at f2.8). Sorry for not having a proper tripod, etc. But i'm kind of feelin I have raw footage, where even noise look acceptable:)) Sky is awesome. Try to shoot this unhacked and you get a mess... But in file props i get "Overall bit rate: 84.9 Mbps, Maximum Overall bit rate: 255 Mbps" What does that mean?

yup, sorry, it's mostly for mts download) Vimeo squeezed all the juice)
  • can someone please explain how to get .ini files into ptools and onto my card... BTw im on a Mac, i cant find this anywhere
  • @PerryWilson Download WINE and install it.
    Download the latest Ptools.
    Put ptools.exe and the leaked gh2 firmware (on the ptools download page) in the same folder.
    Double click on Ptools, when it opens through wine, click "load firmware" and load the leaked firmware (gh2__v10.bin).
    At the bottom of Ptools are a bunch of circles, so long as the patch you want to load is in the same folder (eg driftwood's latest is called "seti.ini" you can click on the circle "i" and that will load that patch. If you want to check it loaded, make sure the gop has been changed to 1.
    Save the firmware as gh2__v11.bin (two underscores).
    Copy it onto the home level of your card.
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULL BATTERY. DO NOT DO THIS WITH AC. REPEAT. DO NOT DO THIS WITH AC, BATTERY ONLY.
    Put sd card with firmware into camera. Press green play button. You will be asked if you want to update firmware. Select yes. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING WHILE UPDATE IS RUNNING.

That's it.
  • @Pupuz, thanks! You're probably just testing high iso but that sky is blow out man -- great thing about gh2 is that it can handle under exposure, especially with hack. Get to the "white" exposure on the histogram and then go down at least one and often two stops.

PS: If you already know this and were just messing around with high iso, excuse me -- I have a thing about blown out skies :-)
  • Just drop the ini file in the same directory that ptool resides. If there's only one ini file in that directory (for example setg.ini), the "G" on the bottom of ptool will be highlighted. Just click the "G" and it will load the settings into ptool. You can then verify this by actually looking at the file and then going into ptool and see the changes.
  • @driftwood. Just did test of latest settings.

Only negative to report is unable to get it to span. Tried it with three different cards (ADATA class 10, Lexar Platinum II and SanDisk Extreme). All videos conked out at the 12:30 minute mark (was just shooting the tv).

Otherwise, fantastic! Off now to do some night shooting.
  • I know this is off topic but has anyone been able to figure out how to use ETC mode with an external monitor plugged in? got some amazing 16mm glass... but refuse to focus pull with this tiny thing
  • @JDN OK thats good to know, thanks for testing - gonna just test some spanning now with a different setting.
  • @JDN or anyone wanting to test span on the latest INTRA GOP1 176M.

Try leaving Encoder setting 1080p/i 1 as it is then setting encoder setting 2 1080p to = 9. Just done a test and it spanned to three file before stopping. Got three files. Then trying adding additonally (see next paragraph) to the above. I left out a number of Encoder Settings Id been toying with from the first GOP1 244M test before because I thought it would affect the higher i frames, but it seems working to me.

After doing that test can you additionally test leaving encoder setting 1080p 1 and 2 with those settings given and adding (one at a time) Encoder Setting 1080p 3 = 12, then on a final test add an additional Encoder Setting 1080p 4 = 17. Let me know your results.
  • @Pupuz it means just what it says, with the hi bitrate setting you were able to resolve a recording of 85Mbps under those conditions. Much much higher than the poor performance of the stock settings :-)
  • if I format my card does the Intra GOP1 176m setting go away? once its loaded in that is
  • @Stray
    Thanks! Please tell me the result, if you try.

@driftwood
    @cbrandin
    Thanks for info!

Since I was not surely stabilized in 3GOP AQ3 when the bit rate was set as 88M, I am using 66M, but there can be not some problems, and it is ?
    Since this setting is most stable also about cadence for the moment...
    I am looking for the setting as for which Iframe size does not become as small as possible at the time of low stress, enlarging Iframe size as much as possible.

@proaudio4
    Thank you for planning a test.
    I am looking forward to the result of your polite test. Since I would like to find the place which must be improved still more...
  • @PerryWilson
    Once you loaded the firmware into the camera (last step described by JDN) you can do what you like with your card. The camera will keep the new firmware until you load another one.
  • cool thank you @nomad

Here is the 176mbit GOP1 video i did, this is the first thing I have ever shot with the GH2, camera came in today. LOVE IT!!!

Read description, watch in HD and download, its amazing and better than the 244 IMO tested both...
  • @PerryWilson Welcome to the world of GH2. Yeah its pretty amazing, getting increasingly better results all the time - I'm adjusting quantisers at the moment so should get even better quality. Very nice test for your first ever GH2 recording. And thank you for your kind words.
    PS Don't forget to donate to Vitaliy - he's thee man who made all the patches possible.
  • @driftwood
    Your 176M settings where spanning for me yesterday without any problems (Final Cut Pro X recognizes them as well). I will do some death chart tests today to confirm it (more static scene yesterday).
  • Unfortunately I can't confirm this.
    I get excellent quality, but recording stops at the first 4 GB limit while shooting trees fullscreen against the sky (Sandisk Extreme HD Video, 30 MB/s).
  • I must retract my earlier statement. I shot a fairly static room in the night without problems but when I shot a slideshow on my iMac screen (with all 4 death charts in a loop with dissolve), it doesn't span.
  • @sohus It could well be we are confirming if the bitrate is higher than a certain level it simply won't span, what were your average bitrates on the spanned files?
  • @PerryWilson good job! that FSH or 24P?
  • @driftood Sorry, it may just be that the coffee hasn't kicked in but don't quite follow: "Try leaving Encoder setting 1080p/i 1 as it is then setting encoder setting 2 1080p to = 9. Just done a test and it spanned to three file before stopping."

Does that refer to settings under Patches for testers > AVCHD Encoder >

Or does it mean changing GOP of 1080i60 to 9 GOP?

Have to go put in a day in the edit anyway so if you're releasing a updated patch later no worries -- I can just load and test that tonight. Thanks again for all the work testing. Time for me to make another donation to the cause (especially seeing as I'm actually renting out my GH2 package to replace a canon package on a friend's music video shoot. Ha!
  • @MbhuyKo its 24p cinema mode, to be honest Ive had the GH2 for about 3 hours and dont know what FSH is? lol all this lingo is new to me being a RED and Canon shooter previously, at least the panny specific lingo that is
  • @PerryWilson wow, maybe you must read "Operating Intructios" hahaha lol
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions