Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Red scarlet scheduled Announcement on November 3rd
  • looks like Red is trying to rain on Canon's Parade.

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?63672-Scarlet-(and-shipping)-announcement-Nov.-3rd...
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • Haha. Trick or treat in November.

New GH2 firmware and NEX-7 in November, too.

Those are all good news. More competition. Great for consumers.
  • @Stonebat,

I hope its not an announcement for an announcement. Seems like the flood gates are opening up in the video/cinema world, everybody seems to be coming out of the "woodworks" with something in November. I bet you Canon is probably saying "Ahhh Damn!!"
  • Please... let's not say flood...

Let the gate open. 4K sounds cool, but is it ready for the mass market? 4K HDTVs and projectors are still expensive. But given a few years I'm sure the price will come down a lot.

When my friends buy 4K HDTVs, I'd be interested in 4K capturing and editing... around 2015 when GH4 gets announced. :)
  • @Stonebat,

Sorry about the word "flood", Didn't mean to be insensitive to all those people in U.S and Japan who were victims of floods.

Surely If the Red Scarlet came out, it would have a 1080P, 720P option with much higher frame rates for shooting than other manufactures offerings for shooting along with its 4K abilities.

I love my GH1(7) and I know the GH2 is much improved, but I'm brand agnostic. So If its Red Scarlet, Panasonic GH3/4 , Canon 8D/5DmkIII, Nikon D400/D800, whomever gives me what I want feature, codec, price and form factor wise gets my money.
  • As long as you make enough money from using any of the tools, you should be fine :)

I'm in no hurry in switching to new system even if there is a compelling reason. As long as existing tools don't hinder me from making progress, just keep using the same tools. Cash is the king. When the time comes, do enough research and switch at once.
  • @stonebat great advice from the vdslr shopaholic himself :-)

What's the supposed price point on this...? Started at 3k USD now upwards of 7K?
  • Maybe both RED and Canon are having the same announcement. Maybe Canon acquired RED :)

Or Maybe Canon's new camera records REDCODE :)
  • I was thinking the same @Brian202020
  • @stonebat,

You are absolutely right about using your current tools to make money, and not holding out for something new that not making you any money. However, When I went to bid for a few local corporate videos and commercials, I the few people in charge what I would be using to shoot with, The hacked Panasonic GH1(7). One stated after seeing it;

" We wanted someone to shoot a corporate sales video not someone to take pictures. I think you might have misunderstood what we were looking for"

Another stated,

" Don't you have something bigger than that?"

Long story short, They went with a guy using a JVC "ENG" type HDV camera. I wasn't even given a chance to show the quality of my work or the quality of the images that came from the GH1. Not too many people in my area are "Video savy". Although, I think the GH1 has the best DSLR or Mirrorless camera image out there, I think a larger form factor would've hurt it.

Since most people in the video business around here thinks that the Panasonic HVX200 is the newest and latest and greatest thing for video, I have chosen to focus on developing my skills for Narrative type projects. I'm not at the level I want to be just yet but I am getting there.

@Brian202020,

That would really be something if canon really did buy Red or at least controlling intertest in it. Maybe Jim Jannard's Plan from the beginning was to build up Red to a level so that he could sell it to the highest bidder. That could be why the Scarlet has taken so long to come to market, because of a deal Red was "ironing out" with Canon to take over the production of the Scarlet. They could then focus entirely on their upper end Red One/Epic.
  • Jim wrote
    "November 3rd is likely to be the most watched day in Reduser history. It will be well worth it."

Canon bought Red and Red will debut their first printer named "REDBull"
  • I don't think one of those giant Japanese camera manufacture is going to use a proprietary codec of Red to give them any momentum. RED has made the industry advance, no denying about that but don't think that those big company don't have the know how or technology to challenge them. It was just the marketing and long term plan so that was to delay the tech the longest possible so that they can sell multiple generation of camera. Look at the Sony f65, it beats the red in also anyway except framerate.

The fear will be that in the end the limiting factor will be the human being. What I mean is that already at 2k theater viewing 99% of people are ok. and I think those 99% people won't find a big difference with 4k. we are in a diminishing return where on moving images people won't see the difference. It is the same for display technology. How many people will feel the need to upgrade when everybody will have a 60 inch + display at home. When this will happen the TV manufacturers will come into a market based on replacement because of age, wear etc than because it is going to bring something more. Your human sensors are only capable to a certain level, reach it and it is us human being (customer) who are the limiting factor.
  • I hope that Jim has good inside info of the Canon cam, because if not it could backfire completely on him. If Canon comes out with a kick ass 4k S35 cam for $ 15 000 or even a 2k S35 10/12 bit high DR camcorder at the FS100/Af100 price they might completely overshadow his scarlet camera launch. When you see what canon is able to do with 18 megapixel apsc sensor size, imaging what they could do with a 2.5 k (3 megapixel) sensor with gigantic pixel in terms of low light and dynamic range.
  • @bleach551

For corporates sales, you might try renting an AF100 for the pitch, and factor the rental cost into your bid...
  • @PixCanFly,

I bet when November 3rd comes there will probably be another "Everything has changed" slogan or "Scarlet discontinued" "Now called Epic-S".

@danyyyel,

I agree with you that at some point we will be unable to discern the difference visually between, lets say, 8K and 10K. But, maybe things like better color reproduction, better gradiation between colors and between light and dark along with better ways of displaying and reproducing 3D space from 2D images will be improved .
  • @Lpowell,

In the part of the country I stay in, the only cams for rent are old Sony and JVC "ENG" types standard defintion types, atleast for now. If you can find a HVX200 for rent, consider yourself "Blessed". If I am going to get an AF100 for use for work I am going to have to buy it myself.
  • If we see more of an epic-S release than a scarlet 2/3 then I will understand that they are not afraid. I don't think that with motion anything above 4k will be discernible. looking at 2k movies now I can't see any pixel when trying. For colour gradation, I remember the days of pixel peeping and test when the 12/14 bit Nikon came out, the difference was negligible if any. I am talking about still and not even motion. A 14 stop, 4 k, 10/12 bit camera will be good for a long long time, perhaps until evolution has given us some eagle eyes in 10 thousand years.
  • @bleach551 did you bulid a rig?
  • Remember this is RED.
    Seeing is believing!

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about Scarlet.
    Damn, I thinks it's going on more than 4 years!

Hopefully, Panasonic or Sony will say enough-is-enough and just trump the Scarlet for less $$
  • @Stonebat,

Not the "Madmax"/"Transformer" types that I've seen. Just A Used "field runner" from jag35 from a friend who had it set up for a gh1 with mounts for optional accessories, a 501HDV Head with 547B Tripod, zoom h4n, two Shure SM11 Lavalier Microphone phone and nikon manual focuses lenses. The video was only going to be a "talking heads" Mock interview/training type thing. I think they wanted to see someone with a large "Eng" type camera not someone with a small DSLR type camera attached to what looked like a " lego" set.
  • @bleach551 I think you need to add some rails and a matt box ;)
  • @proaudio4,

I stopped reading about anything Red about 2 years ago. I only started back reading about Red again a week ago. I did so because I think Red is either going to have to introduce something for the lower end Video/cinema market to compete with Panasonic, Canon and Sony or leave low end market all together. I think the "everything has changed" announcement of announcements will no longer be tolerated or accepted anymore.
  • @sam-strickland,

I was hoping to add a 19mm rod /Matte box system and maybe buy a Shoot35 or Cinevate Focus pulling system after I got a few good jobs. However, when I found out that our local News/cable broadcaster offered really low priced advertisement and corporate video production rates that I could'nt compete with( They have there own production studios), I decided to just work on improving my skills in the area of Narrative shorts and make my own things. I went back to work as a military sub-contactor at our local Navy base and will make my own short movies in my spare time when my skills are improved.
  • "Canon announces... we announce. The best one wins."
    - Jim (RED)
    "We like to bring Bazookas to knife fights."
    - Jared (RED)

sooo.. Anybody wanna buy a kidney?
  • bleach551,
    That's about the same time I stopped following the RED forum and news.
    I know someone here who has the RED ONE and is on the list for Epic.
    He even feels the same way about the long hype going nowhere (Scarlet). But I am hearing that EPIC is quite the treat and a lot smaller than the toaster size RED ONE.
  • Just for a dose of reality, go over to red.com and start adding up all the accessories necessary to have a working as yet to be priced Scarlet...

Having to buy over 5000 in accessories to get the camera to turn on and record kind of takes the excitement out of it.