Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fast and Ultra Fast Lenses Discussion
  • Despite I am not very big fan of ultra fast lenses I know that they are very popular now.

So, I am making this topic and add small bits of my expirience

Note! Only F1.4 and faster lenses are discussed here. Exceptions being fastest lenses in their focal ranges (like ultrawide and telephoto).

My own expirience is not very big.
    While I like my Samyang 85mm F1.4, I rarely use it wide open.
    My tests with various F1.2 and F1.4 50mm lenses showed that I really do not need them and do not like their quality in open state.
    Sigma 30mm F1.4 is also not for me. I'll try to test Samyang 35mm F1.4 soon and hope that it'll be more suitable.
    I do not own Nokton 25mm F0.95 and do not have any intention to have it. Looking at reviews it is fine lens, but it have many similar things with AF100 - same heavy marketing trying to sold pricey lens to people who do not need it. I can only prise PR department of Cosina sending amazing amount of lenses to bloggers and leading shooters for review. Many companies need to learn from it.
  • 21 Replies sorted by
  • I'll speak a bit about nikon 50mm primes. I own 50mm 1.2, i've used othe others and I think it's the best 50mm nikon but it depends on what you need. the 50mm 1.2 I didn't get for the 1.2 , I got it cause it's the sharpest nikon lens made at f/2 it has amazing sharpness at f/4 and I have reasonable 1.4 if I need so it's the most versatile for me. and ofcourse great build etc. For instance, if you will always use the lens at 1.4, you should get the nikkor 1.4 instead which is cheaper and is the same as the 1.2 at 1.4, but is nowhere near as sharp as the 1.2 at either f/2, 2.8 or f/4. And then there is nikkor 1.8 which is amazing lens for the money and at f/4 is the same sharp as the 1.2 nikkor and both these lenses at f4 are much much bettter than the 1.4. everything I said can be understood much clearer here
    http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Ew8i?start=0
    just look at the black(50mm 1.2) and observe it's graph from 1.4 to 4, from 1.4 the sharpness skyrockets until 2.8 leaving other behind, and then it meets with the 50mm 1.8 at f3. And because my favourite apertures to use on M4/3 are in the f1.8-f2.8 range and at night I can use 1.4, it's the best for me
  • I also have Samyang 85mm 1.4 and agree, like almost any very fast lens it's quite soft wide open but nice at f2 and very nice from f2.8 on. The main advantage of such fast lenses for me is not to use it wide open, but to get sharp images already at 2.8 or something.
  • I have a canon fd 50mm 1.2L that I really like. It looks good at 1.4 and by f2 it is tack sharp. I like the look at 1.2 as well. Here is some test footage I did a while back.

I also got a canon 50mm 1.2 LTM recently. This is a 50 year old rangefinder lens. If you are looking for a ton of vibe this guy could be up your ally. Way too expensive for what it is, the leica crowd really made the price go up.

• Yeah, all of fast lenses have some character.
    Guys, do you know history of this lenses?
    As I know Canon 50mm FD is slightly price optimized FL 50mm.
  • I think the two best fast fifties (under $1000) are the ever popular Rokkor 58mm F/1.2 (which sells for $500 ~ $1000) and one no one has heard of or has much to say about - the Canon FL 58mm F/1.2.

The FL 1.2 is an undescovered gem. Evidently some self-proclaimed "experts" declared it as inferior to the FD 55/1.2 and the FD 50/1.2. In reality it's better than my mint copies of those lenses. :) I've been posting samples of the FL 58/1.2 around and I've had several very knowledgable photogs tell me they've never even heard of it. :D

Here's a few of my threads:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=196798
    http://club.japanphotos.jp/viewtopic.php?p=1495#p1495

And here's the shots:

F/1.2

F/2.0

F/1.2

F/2.0

F/1.2 very heavy crop.

and so on.

• Added fast lens comparison from Luminous-landscape article

See full version - Fast Lenses for the Epson R-D1

• Some fast regular and telephoto lenses in these reviews.

regular

telephoto

• I like the Rokkor 50mm 1.4. The 58mm have a slightly better bokeh, but I prefer the color of the slightly Rokkor-X MD 50mm F1.4. And it was $45. That Canon 1.8 looks awful good.
  • There are different versions of the Rokkor 50 1.4 but they all perform quite similar. Mine is the MC Rokkor-PG, the oldest version from 1973-77, and it's really soft at 1.4 with quite some glow. Stopped down one stop to f2.0, it gets absolutely fantastic though. Maybe my copy performs worse than usual at 1.4, generally this lens is said to be outstanding.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/minolta/5014.htm
    http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Battle%20of%2050s2.htm
  • I bought a "Mamiya/sekor AUTO 55mm f/1.4 M42 Screw Mount" on ebay last week and...eh.

It was damaged, a bent filter ring, so I got it cheap, $26 plus another $15 or so for the adapter, so I don't feel that ripped off, but if I had paid in the range of $100(where most f1.4 lenses start), I'd feel very gyp'd. That's a side by side still frame of a vid shot using the 75mb peak performance at MJPEG 1440x816 with the Sekor and a Minolta MC 1.7 55mm at iso 1600, both wide open, the dark at iso 100. The only light is the TV and a clip on work light with a 60 watt fluorescent. FPN wasn't that bad, and the grain looked like typical low light noise. Ironically, much less FPN in AVCHD vs the MJPEG

Can you tell wich is the Minolta MC 55m 1.7 and the Sekor 55mm 1.4? I forgot after recording it, :P so yeah, not much difference. I wouldn't spend more than $30 for the Mamiya /Sekor if I was you.
    ISOCombine2.jpg
    2888 x 1626 - 736K
  • Is the Olympus Zuiko OM 50mm f1.2 good?
    I can get one in very good condition for 250 which is not to much I think?
  • Just a thought. In my view, the value of "tack sharp" in video is highly overrated. Video is a moving image medium. As a consequence, "tack sharp" means very little; nothing I would suggest. A shot is often better if it's in focus (but not always). Even exposure is an esthetic decision not a practical one. To my eye, a "tack sharp" image can often detract from the theme of the image because the image quality, rather than its content, becomes paramount.
  • @sdbest I heard somebody say movie making is about "taking away" that also supports the fondness of 24fps over a frame rate like 60fps - which provides more information. I'm happy with my canon 50mm f1.4
  • I have a 58mm MC Rokkor 1.2 that's razor sharp at 1.2 and built like a tank love it! Almost 3d in it's out of focus rendition. Also love the Hexanon 50 and 57 1.4 - great character. Edit oh and the lovely dinky Hexanon 40 1.8 !
  • i own a canon fd 50mm 1.4, is a bit soft wide open, but in 2 is already sharp, i love this lens, i´ve read that it is a bit sharper than the canon fd 50mm 1.8, mine cost me something like a USD100
  • @sdbest +1

With video, I've found that smooth edges blend together far more pleasingly than sharp, high-contrast edges. Probably everyone here has seen the distracting flicker effect produced when panning across a sunlit, highly-detailed scene loaded with crisp vertical edges. This is not a flaw in the camera, it is the inevitable result of high-contrast object movement projected at a low frame rate. It can be minimized by softening the image, either with long-shutter motion blur, or by shooting at wide-open apertures.

What I've found more important than sharpness is a lens' dynamic response to flare. Digital image sensors respond very differently to direct light sources than film does. The flat film plane responds equally well to light coming from any angle, whereas the photocells in an image sensor respond primarily to perpendicular, rather than oblique, light rays. This can produce harsh looking flare effects when a direct light source moves across a video frame.

Fast lenses typically use broad front lens elements to gather as much light as possible. Most vintage prime lenses predate modern aspherical lens designs that minimize flare. The problem with flare is that it's very difficult to measure or quantify in a way that can be used to predict how a lens will perform in practice.

I've tried out a fairly wide variety of prime and zoom lenses - Lumix, Zuiko digital, Leica, Canon FD, Nikon AIS, Konica Hexanon, Minolta MD, Tokina, Rokinon, and Sigma. I found the Lumix and Zuikos excellent for still photography, but they're often too sharp and clinical for video. Vintage primes look beautiful wide-open under controlled lighting, but flare is all over the map, especially when the front lens barrel is extended. What seems to work most consistently for my shooting style are prime and zoom lenses with internal focusing mechanisms that do not extend the front lens element. Their fixed, non-rotating front lens barrels also happen work well with polarizers, anamorphic adapters, and matte boxes.
  • In a music recording analogy, those old classics recreate that "feel" like a valve amp or old guitar, undefinable but apparent and quite lovely once you delve into the old glass realm!
  • I own Nokton and I think it is one of my best lenses. First and foremost because of the low light performance when no other glass can handle the darkness, I can do interviews which is a huge leap forward in the documentary world. I has to shoot secretly in a night club full of Russian thugs, this little thing worked (20mm 1.7 was too slow for that purpose). Prior to that we either had to use lights, or boost the video until we ruin it completely. With Nokton I don't even need a light source or if I use it, it can be a tiny consumer LED pointer - enough! I understand what you mean when you say you usually don't go lower than 1.4. "Too much shallow DOF will kill you", right? I think that it is just a matter of artistic choices. My most loved bokeh lens is Nikkor 50mm (120 $). My problem with it is that it's extremely hard to stabilize. But it's even more beautiful than Nokton. But Nokton is the best.
  • There's an auction currently underway on Ebay USA for a LEITZ NOCTILUX 50MM F1.2 LENS FOR M CAMERAS.

Current bid...US$15,500.

...and the Hood/Shade is a bargain at $2,250!

Don't miss out...
  • Bright lenses for the GH2 are not a problem. but WIDE ANGLE lenses are a problem. I tried all the c-mounts and other low price alternatives, but I start looking at the Olympus 12mm f2 and wondering if it is worth it.
  • Olympus 12mm f2 is awesome.