Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
A Fauxnamorphic Rite - A (faux) anamorphic short film with a hacked GH2
  • Raising up the flares at Tel Aviv's Sheinkin St.
    An experiment with "anamorphic" flares using a blue fishing line at the back of the lens.

Music: The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky.
    Shot and edited by Izhar Ashdot.
    Panasonic GH2, FD 28mm/2.0, FD 35mm/2.0, Helios 44-2 58mm/2.0.
    Edited with FCPX, graded with FilmConvert.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • @izash Looks great. Well done.

• Nice. So where actually and how you attach the fishing line to the lens? Could you post pic?

• yes, how did you do that? I used to fake flares with a fish line on a filter, not on the back of the lens!

• Thanks @jazzroy @tonalt @matt_gh2 I experimented with attaching the line to the filter thread but I got the best results by attaching it to the inside of the lens adaptor with some gaffer's tape. Photo attached. It works best with my FD 35mm/2.0 and the Kiron FD 28mm/2.0. No flares with the Canon FD 50mm/1.4. I painted the fishing line with a cyan felt marker.

fishing line lens.JPG
    1256 x 1280 - 612K
  • good idea, I'll try it, thanks!

• jajaja @izash that's an excellent idea, I'm sure I'll be trying this, so thank U
    and BTW nice little film, loved the theme, very clever use of Jaws "mood music" - though Stravinsky ate John Williams for breakfast - with the fishing line idea and all ;-)

• Thank you @maxr.
    I'm on an fascinating musical journey, getting to know the masters of 20th century modern music.