Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Purchasing BMCC - what else do I need?
  • If there is another topic about this please point me to it.

Purchasing an EF mount BMCC

Was planning on 240GB Sandisk card & Switchtronix V-mount battery

Is this good or is there a more economical option, also what other accessories (specifically) do I need? I read something about these batteries taking a long time to charge, is this true?

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris Why PM? I have same questions.

1. Make sure your base plate allows your camera the space to breathe if you don't want it to overheat. There is a fan gate at the base of the BMCC, and conventional plates will most likely cover it. Ikan has customised a plate for this purpose. For the same reason, I wouldn't recommend the Switronix base battery. A V-mount system is the way to go, but the camera shouldn't be resting on the battery.

2. Get a top handle if your palms get sweaty handling the camera.

3. Get a cage. The body bruises easily.

• I use a super cheap EM320 mic with my BMCC, this is because the inbuilt mic will pick up all the handling noise, particularly on a motorised rail.

The EM320 sits on a lead off the camera pointed at the action and gives a good sync track. (my main audio is done on a H4N).

Solid Tripod, because of the crop factor and L series Lenses help ;)

• Yeah good tripod. i use a Manfrotto 502. But if you have loads to rig up, get a Vinten, or Sachtler

• @kazuo Have been looking at the ViewFactor cage, seems to be reviewed well and possibly their v-mount battery plate. What do you use, the iKan rig? Looks good but not a fan of how all their accessories are yellow, haha.

• @theconformist

I don't use a rig for the time being, but have invested in Wooden Camera accessories. I have the NATO top handle, the battery slider, the baseplate and rods. i am resisting the cage cos it's a little costly, and have since paid the price. Thats how I know the camera bruises easily.

Think Ikan doesn't make cages for BMCC, but sells Tilta rigs. These are costly as well, but they look solid.

• By the way, my V mount system consists of a Switronix plate customised for BMCC (you can find this on the Wooden Camera website) and Swit batteries. A 120 w battery will last you a good 7 hrs

• You will need an SDI monitor or EVF! ... the screen is !@#*