Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Solid modelling: Autodesk 123D, 3DVia Shape and Creo
  • Really like interface of this free application ( you can get it at http://www.123dapp.com/downloads )

• 27 Replies sorted by
  • Looks really cute, but it seems like the ease of use is at the cost of the amount of options, and the cell shading look doesn't seem to be optional. :-D
  • > but it seems like the ease of use is at the cost of the amount of options

First, most options appear if you need them as pie context menus.

Second, they are moving fast with each release adding stuff.

If not the awful NET, it had been ideal for modelling small things.
  • Creo looks extremely userfriendly and useful. I think for your purposes, maybe even the free version would fit the bill.
  • SpaceClaim Engineer

Most intuitive interace that I saw up to this time.
    Initially look like Prius, but has Ferrari engine :-)

http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/

Link to their short video :
    http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Resources/VidPlayer.aspx?v=SpaceClaim-Top10-Final.mp4

I mostly work in Creo Direct Extpess now, but this thing allow to make most things 2x-3x faster.
    Making a model like on screenshot requires less than 1 minute.

Similar thing done in Creo shows all workplanes and geometry used, SpaceClaim don't need this.
    spaceclaim.jpg
    800 x 516 - 89K
    spaceclaim1.jpg
    800 x 517 - 84K
  • What's practical use of such tools in videography? Commercial product advertising?
  • @stonebat

I use it to model things that later will be produced and used in practice.
    And you can use for anything else.
  • i have a 3D printer that is used to make such models. it's a powder based system. it's does not have a high level of tolerance but it does work pretty well. Here is a picture of the Bladerunner Blaster i made with it..
    blaster.jpg
    1701 x 1183 - 780K
  • @Bueller

It is very interesting.
    3D printers market is extremely fast growing.
  • @Vitally Yes it is.

But the build size of the newst generation of "affordable" machines (under $5000) have very small build boxes. then realized that you could by an older/2002 machine for much less that works much better. i got this printer for $2,000 US, and spent about three months putting it back together and getting it to work with powder and a binder solution that is 1/50th the cost of the "proprietary" materials. it's called a ZCorp 402 machine. it's cool because it has an 8"X10"X10" build size. They are not for sale anymore but come up on ebay occasionally. Also the company that makes them has very bad customer service. So we developed a user group that has been fantastic in keeping everyone up and running. if you want to know more just let me know.
  • Maybe someone interested in http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Inform me when yes, I'm interested too.
  • Autodesk 123D Design Final

This guys completely dumbled down all features. Export, etc.

Now it is more like useless toy.

• Kubotek KeyCreator 2012

Going in different direction :-)

• Catia V6, has some unique things

• PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 6.0 Free

at

http://www.ptc.com/cad/elements-direct/modeling/express

• Onshape Cloud CAD is very interesting free option with 5GB public data and 100mb for private projects. I'v been using the free option for 6 month and switched to the 100$/month pro plan now. The sketching is really robust, so are the direct editing tools. Still missing sheet metal functionality, but they switched R&D to get that out during summer. Do you guys know any free (also for commercial use) software with good DXF sketching abilities? something to run offline on our CNC plasma cutter

onshape plans.png
    1377 x 561 - 55K
  • Demo of onshape I just recorded to show real world speed. Good thing is any webGL capable dervice such as a Chromebook can run the service at decent speed.

• @Adam_Mercier

Well, online tool is made for collaboration. All the complex design is usually made offline.

Also note that any of such tools can change interface abruptly at any day or just be gone.

• Yes, that is true. Onshape has been around for 1 year now with monthly updates and improvements. There is always the risk of the plateform going bust abruptly and loosing work history, versionning, ext... at least with installed soft you can keep old version.

I would be interested to know how many of such cloud plateforms went bust with "pro" users loosing their data. I think Megaupload was one of those?

I find for my use that cloud based has hudge advantages as my collaborators can acces and work on my own files without having pro membership, wich is considered "fair use" of that pro membership, compared to licence sharing wich is considered illegal by 3D systems unless you pay 2000$ anually for a licence server.

It's hard to find a good soft for commercial use. In exemple Alibre was 100$, now its rebadged/replaced by Geomagic, brought by 3d systems and price now 2500$ plus 500$ annual maintenance, just to make less competition to their other soft (solidworks, 6000$+1200$ maintenance)

• I find for my use that cloud based has hudge advantages as my collaborators can acces and work on my own files without having pro membership, wich is considered "fair use" of that pro membership, compared to licence sharing wich is considered illegal by 3D systems unless you pay 2000$ anually for a licence server.

Cool. It is good idea to show that you actually can do instead of looking at fancy 3d stuff.

It's hard to find a good soft for commercial use. In exemple Alibre was 100$, now its rebadged/replaced by Geomagic, brought by 3d systems and price now 2500$ plus 500$ annual maintenance, just to make less competition to their other soft (solidworks, 6000$+1200$ maintenance)

Alibre and Solidworks are different beasts. If you want you can always find old Alibre and no one will care.

If you design such things professionally price at $1000 and more won't scare you.
    If not - you know where to search for them.

I think that it is also goo idea to make another topic, as this one is about 3D solid modeling that onshape does not look like.

• Autodesk Fusion 360

• Simple web based thing - Tinkercad

https://www.tinkercad.com