Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Recording audio at weddings
  • I'm thinking of getting the following to scan & record wireless mikes at weddings

http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_ubcd396xt_index.asp

I have constant problems getting access to the receivers/ PA's that are used and I want better sound than an ambient mike.

My hope is that I can use this unit to scan & find the frequency on the mike that the celebrant or venue has and record that.

any experts out there that can confirm my theory (desperate hope)

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • is this legal?

• why on earth wouldn't it be legal? I'm hired to record the video & audio of the event.

• no sorry, I should have been clearer. I thought devices like this were restricted in some countries

• @tired

At least make experiments first.

I think best way is to have your own wireless mikes and put them on people you want.

• Wireless Mic's on people, digital recorder plugged into AV system and a shotgun on the cam in case the first two fail! :)

• I don't trust wireless for wedding audio.

I have 2 small tascam recorders with lapel mics on them that I pop into cell phone holders :) One for the groom, the other for the officiant.

I also will plug into the AV system so if there are wireless mics on them, I get that audio as a backup.

And then I record audio with shotguns on the cameras. Can't risk any audio failures in the Ceremony.

• I never use wireless - small recorders are the go - I always have one on the groom and, when I can, I take a line out from the PA - failing that I will put another recorder on the celebrant but the line out is ideal because the celebrant holds the cordless mike for the bride & groom & themselves.

The problem is an increasing number of celebrants won't let you take a line out and lots of venues don't even know where the receiver is or how to use is and don't want you to touch it.

wired or wireless in the reception are impractical because you would have to have one for each speaker, yes you can put a recorder on the lectern but that doesn't cope with 'the wanderer' the best solution is again a line out of the AV system - if you can get it, half the time I can't

I'm just looking for a catchall solution

• The main thing in an event like this is redundancy. If the mic or cam fails, you have a backup. Otherwise, if something goes wrong, you will be in the very strange and stressful position of doing the wedding over. Of all the things that can and do go wrong, wireless audio is right up there.