Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro HD Hero 4 rumors
  • Rumored specs

4K Ultra HD H.264 Encoder

• Film in 4k resolution at 30fps
    • High Profile with B-frames for high efficiency

Super High Frame Rate Modes

• 1080p at 120fps
    • 720p at 240fps

Advanced Imaging

• 700Mpixels/s oversampling performance
    • Multi-exposure HDR and WDR tone mapping
    • Electronic image stabilization (EIS)
    • Improved MCTF with advanced sharpening

Wi-Fi™ Connectivity

• Remote viewfinder, playback
    • Upload pictures and video to social media

It is possible that the link here reveals the details of this camera. The 4K specs are looking useful and the frame rate at HD would help:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1994464

• 49 Replies sorted by
  • These specs for the chip weren't leaked , they were announced and have been out for a while. And there's no "leak" that says gopro will use that chip, or use all of it's resources. Pure spec-ulation.

• If it has those specs then I will buy it day one despite already having a GP 3 Black. I really want the 4K at 30 FPS and the 1080p @ 120 FPS.

• Battery life is the biggest Achilles heel. Hope they address that.

• @SuperSet

I just bought an external battery pack and plug it into it if I need to leave it recording for longer than an hour.

• The HD3 Black "PLUS" model will be introduced before moving onto the HD4, should be within a month.

Yep, those Ambrella Chip Specs where released back in Jan 2013, no evidence yet Gopro will use that.

• @Rambo

But by idea 4K mode must get more FPS.

And high fps mode are really right place in GoPro. :-)

• @vitaliy_kiselev, yep agree, the HD4 will most likely go 4k 30fps and will need a hardware update to do that, whether it uses the above Ambaralla is as yet unknown.

There are very strong "rumours" of a duel lens single camera body Gopro addition to the lineup, not only to address the 3D sync issues but to also It could allow you to shoot in a couple different modes at once, so 4k30 on one side and 720p240 on the other and in a different FOV also. This sort of thing would be quite handy for many people that arent into 3d but give you more options in your edits.

Mock up photo

image.jpg
    520 x 477 - 43K
  • @Rambo I haven't been on my favorite GoPro site for a few days but so far I had't seen any concrete gossip about what the plus will be. Any ideas?

• Regurgitation of the same crap ! ...did you bother to read the last 2 pages of that post ? Nope...didn't think so ..

• Its still under wraps @peternap, I've heard nothing definite other than hints from a few insiders. Assuming the Ambarella Chip specs will be the new GoPro specs is just wishful thinking like I said a few posts up. The duel lens is something confirmed they have been playing around with as well as near field technology. The ability to easily share is high on GoPros list, it drives their sales.

• @kurth Looks like you didn't read the link. Check the date that it was posted. ;) Basically, this info's been out there forever. Why's it only getting news now?

• GoPro really does a good job of hiding their upcoming releases. I am not sure that hiding this is a good thing though. Nobody could duplicate what they had in the GoPro 3 even after 1 year. I would think that the publicity and hype would be worth more than tipping your hand a little bit?

If you are sitting with a Royal Flush you don't care what everyone else has. You just go all in and let everyone else squirm over their decision on what to do next.

• @BluebomberTurbo ...I did read the date of the link .January of this year . That;s 9 months ago. And I read the announcement when the chip was announced....9 months ago ! "That info" has only been out for 9 months. No more. And there was always speculation, ever since it was announced by ambarella 9 months ago that it would go into the next gopro, however that speculation has never once had any confirmation. So it's not just getting to be news now. This was discussed at dvxuser or dvinfo, I can't remember which....9 months ago. Personally I doubt if we'll see a new gopro 4 until next mid-year. The black 3 is good to go for another 9 months imho. I could be wrong and wish I would be , but doubt it.

• ...apparently this is the source of spec-ulation. He gives no sources so me thinks he is making the same assumption of everyone else , that since ambarella made the current sensor, they'll make the next one as well. I hope it's true but so far I think it's just guessing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1994464

I'd add a guess...if this is true, the price will go up at least 50%, maybe double.

• Hmm, I probably started this rumor, being commenting about the possibility since before the first 4k chip they did for security and cars last year. Somebody might have seen a comment and made a news article out of it others read.

• I just come across the link because I like RC flying, I'm not sure of its veracity. For me the high frame rate would be great to be able to capture the energy and collisions in indoor flying. I reckon the specs are about right but the suggested release date is a bit optimistic.

• Mystery 4:01AM Hmm, I probably started this rumor, being commenting about the possibility since before the first 4k chip they did for security and cars last year. Somebody might have seen a comment and made a news article out of it others read.

Haha.. Most likely the rumours of HD4 all came from this fun thread I started oct 2012 just after the HD3 was released 17k views and 111 posts, even bluebomberturbo had different ideas back then. http://goprouser.freeforums.org/gopro-hd4-already-in-use-t9488.html

• @Rambo

Where do you mention the ambarells next 4k chip and its use in the gopro?

• It doesn't, i never said it did, I said "rumours of HD4"

GoPro have other options now other than Ambarella, same with the sensor, current HD3 Blk sensor is a Sony, this could also change.

• current HD3 Blk sensor is a Sony, this could also change.

I hope not to BM sensor supplier...

• @Rambo

I am interested in what the 4k alternative options to ambarella are Rambo? The only ones I know of available are worse. So I am eager to find better.

Thanks.

• Ok, just a tiny tiny rumour GoPro have been looking at smartphone camera tech, they have some partners in that area like Foxconn. http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/20/technology/enterprise/foxconn-gopro/

• @Rambo You know something we don't know? ;)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions