Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Does SD card speed make a real difference or is it the internal memory buffer
  • Hello!

This is regarding the GH-2. Stills not video. I usually shoot RAW plus large JPG. I like the Dynamic B&W of the Jpg, but like the color option of having the raw. I also shoot HDR, panos and sometimes fashion. So, I shoot a lot of consecutive images. I'm often faced with the GH-2 preventing me from shooting until it writes to the card from the internal memory. In fact, doing a 5 exposure HDR, sometimes it will hold me at 4, and I have to wait for the red light to go out before I can complete the bracket.

So, I was wondering even if I use the fastest SD card out there? Once the internal memory fills up, won't I still be faced with the RED light? Clearly a faster card will be written to in less time. But are any cards fast enough, that I could do continuous shooting without stopping?

And I'm not talking about 5 frames a second type shooting, But just regular single click, click, click?

I currently have San Disk 16gb ULTRA SDHC 30mb/s San Disk 64gb ULTRA SDXC 30mb/s (I think I have a 45mb/s card as well)

If someone can do a test for me.

If you have a GH-2 and a San Disk xxGB 95mb/s card. Could you count how many continuous exposures you can get before the buffer fills and stops you? And that would be RAW+large JPG.

Please report back.

I'm thinking the number of exposures before getting the red light will be the same.

Example, I was in a Church taking a handheld Pano. a good 15 exposures. Everytime the buffer filled, I'd have to freeze in place until I could take the next 1-2 frames freeze etc.

Thank you!

Max