Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
gh2 25p settings?
  • Hello all i am a documentary film maker i just bought a gh2 and it shoots 25i instead of 25p is there any way i can change it ?? help!! I need to kwn asap of how i can change it ie if their is a way , cause the film is for broadcast in india , thanks all !!

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Try searching the forum, many topics about that exist. Many cameras, including GH2 shoot 25 fps as PsF, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_Frame

Again, we have discussed this numerous times, you'll also find workflow suggestions for editing PsF footage.

• @inqb8tr thanks for your advice i will read more topics about it just one more question i will be working with another guy on this docu who uses a 7d which gives you 25 p so while editing would it cause a problem if mine is shot on 25i and his on 25 p ? sorry for such stupid question just need to kwn , iam really new to film making ,iam in a learning phase.

• No, you will not have any problems. I cut 7d and gh2 25p many times without any issues. GH2 footage is not really interlaced, it is just "packed" like that. You have to "tell" your NLE to interpret GH2 footage as progressive, and you continue editing like with normal 25p footage. You will not see any differences in image quality or workflow in general. Now, you'll have to match other things, 7d is way softer and has less resolution than GH2, so you'll have to sharpen it in post, and also color rendering is different between two cameras..

• @inqb8tr ok so when the software such as adobe premier pro cs6 asks me whtr or not change the settings of the sequence i should just say no ??

• and thanks for all the suggestion will keep that in mind while doing the post of the docu ...

• asks me whtr or not change the settings of the sequence i should just say no

That's correct.

Set your sequence to 25p, import GH2 footage, select your files, right click - Modify - Interpret footage - field order - conform to: no fields. That's it.

• @inqb8tr one more silly question so whn i am shooting at 1080i in 25 fps it is not it is the same as 1080 p?? just packaged like 1080 i ??

• It is progressive segmented frame - Progressive frame segmented in two fields in the encoding stage, unlike interlaced footage, those two fields are from the same moment in time. Therefore when they get rejoined in one progressive frame there are no motion artifacts, quality loss or whatever.

So it is progressive, wrapped and tagged in an interlaced stream, and recoverable as progressive without any converting and quality loss. That's how it is with AVCHD because of the codec standards, blu ray, plasma tv's etc.

Just think of it as 25p with slight hassle in between.

• To be precise here, we are talking about HBR mode in GH2, not the FSH mode that is actually 1080i50.

• @inqb8tr Thanks for all your help ill conduct some test with your advice asap and if i still have any further queries will contact you, thank you so much again till next time .

• @inqb8tr you have explained a coplicated scenario for begineers like myself in simplistic speak, thank you. I still think that the manual is confusing for people like me, in as much as it says 1080i is 50i fps under Rec Qualities section of the book.

• @Haberdasher

Actually, in the GH2 manual under Rec Qualities section they describe the FSH mode that is interlaced, it is 1080i50 (or 60 in NTSC).

1080p25 (the PsF that I refer to in above posts) was added with the 1.1 firmware, and it is called HBR in the movie mode menu. Try not to mix those two modes, you can shoot 1080 interlaced (FSH) and 1080 progressive (HBR).

Manual was created for the original 1.0 firmware and does not mention HBR mode at all.

• @inqb8tr understood, cheers.

• @inqb8rt.. sorry what I should have said.."if I refer to the manual and record in FSH,1080i @ 50i FPS, I could assume that a shutter 100 of would confirm to the 180 degrees equation. (but i'd be wrong, wouldnt I ?)

• Shoot at 1/50 for most stuff, but for fast action, you can go to 1/100

• Yes, FSH 1080i50 contains 50 fields per second and not 50 frames, there are only 25 frames each recorded in two separated fields, odd and even, so shutter should be 1/50 sec to conform to 180 degrees angle.

In European broadcasting standards this 1080i50 resolution/framerate is frequently abbreviated as 1080i/25 (or 1080i/30 for NTSC 1080i60). It seems more straightforward that way, it can be confusing what it is, frame rate or field rate...