Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Don't use UHS-1 if your camera cannot support UHS-1 mode.
  • Many users report that the write speed of UHS-1 is worse than SDHC CLASS 10 for hacked cameras. The reason is that UHS-1 uses 3 extra pins to transfer data, totally 4 bits. So, if your camera does not implement UHS-1 mode, it cannot use 3 extra pins and will use the traditional SD 1 bit mode. The data transfer rate will drop obviously.

Check this wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • It depends on the card. Basically if you will be using a card in HS mode, you need to judge its performance in HS mode. The UHS-I mode performance is not necessarily predictive of the performance in HS mode.

But it is wrong to say that you shouldn't use a UHS-I card in a camera that doesn't support UHS-I mode. Some of the best cards we have for HS mode happen to be UHS-I cards.

Don't confuse bus modes, speed classes, and capacity standards. A UHS-I card can be Class 10, and it can be SDHC or SDXC.

• I am not to say you cannot use UHS-1 SD card as Class 10, but it will degrade the card speed. I simplify the hardware, UHS-1 uses 2 clock cycles to transfer 1 byte, Class 10 uses 8 clock cycles to transfer 1 byte. A 95 MB/s UHS-1 SD card design will use all its 4-bit capacity to reflect its transfer rate. If it steps down to 1-bit mode and can still transfer something like 40MB/s. The manufacturer will mark it as 1xx MB/s SD card instead of 95 MB/s. Theoretically, the speed of 4-bit mode is four times of 1-bit mode.