Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Okay to leave camera/lens/rig out vs Need to Store It
  • Curious to know what people think about whether it's okay to leave out my GH2 with lens on. I don't like breaking down the rig and taking off camera to put in pelican case, and then taking off lens to put in pelican case. Is it okay to just leave my camera rig, with camera and lens, out on a table, or should it be broken down and stored in my pelican case?

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • I don't like taking everything apart everytime too. I use the B&W outdoor case typ 90 to store a Red Scarlet with standard EF lens, SmallHD monitor and rod system. There's a Pelicase like, quite high, box inside, the camera just fits so it can't wiggle around. That way it's safe from bumps, dust and water and I only have to pull it out, put on the V-mount battery and I'm good to go. I know some people recommend to always take lens off but, you know...

bw-type90-a-z.jpg
    550 x 550 - 42K
  • Depends on the climate and surroundings I suppose. If it's a really moist or dusty place, I would certainly store the camera and lenses in a sealed case with dessicant so that you don't get fungus in the lenses or excess dust in the lenses or body. If it's a normal climate controlled house/business that's cleaned regularly, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping it out.

• I like to see my gear. Before going on a shoot I like to decide which lens or lenses to carry. I still understand the need to keep everything safe and so I use large plastic boxes which I'm not satisfied with. I dream of a shop-display case with my gear in it and which I can stand back and ponder into - but which is airtight. Maybe something like this:

It's also good to be able to check, at a glance, that everything's there - and not left somewhere.

Another solution might be a set of small, clear acrylic cubes, each airtight and with its own sack of dessicant.

lensbox.jpg
    300 x 426 - 20K
  • @Walker First of all, great pictures! Seriously, if you live in a humid climate (I live in Vietnam), you'll want to invest in a dry cabinet. This will protect your lenses against fungus. I purchased a small cabinet here which is large enough to hold several cameras and lenses for only $65.00. I also store my microphones inside. It has a glass door too, if you want to admire your gear!

• @jonpais

Thanks. Can you send a pic of your cabinet? And where to get one?

• @Walker My cabinet looks something like this, only with an LCD readout. I've only had it a couple of days, but it brought the humidity down to 40 from 75 in just a few hours, and has remained there since. Remember, I live in Vietnam, where the humidity is crazy high, and I plan on purchasing the Nokton 17mm myself soon - I don't want it plagued with fungus...

image.jpg
    500 x 500 - 45K
  • Where did you purchase this, online? I'm looking for a low cost cabinet like the one you posted.

• @Walker @Daisuke I purchased mine (the AIPO 25L) from SLab, a small camera accessories shop in Ho Chi Minh City. They have an English language website, with around a dozen different models for sale. You can check them out at www.slab.vn.

• Thenks @jonpais

The item you're talking about is probably HERE.

I live in a low-humidity environmment. Dust is a bigger problem for me, although dessicant is a good idea inside an airtight environment.

Your cabinet reminds me of the small (bar-sized) wine-fridges we can get. They have a glass door and just maybe the refrigeration process would do some drying too.

• @Walker Mine's smaller than that, but then again, I don't have a lot of camera gear (yet!). BTW, if you're in a humid environment, leather cases and pouches are a very bad idea too. I ended up tossing away my Andrew Marc jacket, it just kept getting attacked by fungus, and when it's 90 degrees every day, it's not much good to me anyhow.

• Thanks Jonpais. Does anyone know somewhere in the US that sells something similar to this?