Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Windshield mount problems
  • I have 2 suction cup mounts at my disposal. One is a DIY version made around this;

http://www.floordot.com//wp-content/uploads/2012/09/08-0102-Double-Suction-Cup-30118_300x300.jpg

And another one is a $5 eBay type.

When I put GH2+pancake on either of the 2 and mount it on my car's windshield (inside the car), I get unwatchable, shaky footage. I've watched some YouTube videos shot from the same position and they seem significantly less shaky than mine. Believe me, no stabilizers would fix the footage, because the shakes too intense, almost vibrating. When I get on the straight road, the footage is somewhat usable.

Any ideas how to get a stable windshield point of view footage?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I've gotten pretty stable footage just holding the camera in my hand while driving. Obviously not the safest, but maybe you can have a friend drive while you hold/operate camera. The footage was pretty smooth and I was using an older lens that didn't have IS.

• Also reduce pressure in tires.

• What really helps is of you use another mount to the hot shoe on the top of the camera. I have the Camtree car rig and it still bounced all over the place. I purchased another monfrotto suction cup, use it on the hot shoe and it's much better. Reducing tire pressure is a great way too!

• I also remember using a Canon HV20 cam years ago and just literally taping the camera to the dashboard. I used gaffer's tape going on the sides and top, and used 3 or 4 pieces on the body. Not sure if I used OIS. It was very smooth footage.

• I've tried the following setup today;

One suction mount on the camera body (upside down), on the windshield, second suction mount attached to magic arm, attached on the camera's hot shoe. To my surprise, no improvement what so ever. I had this idea that holding the camera from both up and down points will somewhat reduce the irritating vibrations, but unfortunately that's not the case.

The only improvements I've noticed were mounting the suction in the top corner of the windshield, since the car is probably more rigid on that spot, and the magic arm + suction pressing against my side window.

The only problem with this setup is high possibility of me hitting the arm while steering...

I'll try this cheapo windshield "rig" on my friends car, maybe my shocks need a fix

• IMO you really need a 3 point system. I went through weeks of this same thing. The rolling shutter problem in the GH2 really shows itself. Also if you're shooting during the day, any lens with IS really saves the day. I used my 14-140 and it worked really well. Only thing was, all my shots were night so i had to use non stabilized glass.

• I'll try with the OIS lens, but unfortunately the only OIS I have at this moment is 14-140 which weighs a ton...I don't like the idea of driving around and worrying about the rig stability at the same time :)

Maybe I get the shaky footage because the camera is way too light with the pancake...

As soon as I've noticed the vibrations/shakes I figured those 2 points weren't enough to hold the camera firmly while the car's driving...

I think this would be the ultimate solution...Some kind of cage with 2 cushions on the side that can press the camera to hold it in place, and 4 suctions in each corner...the only problem is how to make this thing flexible to various windshield angles or similar applications... :D

141141414.jpg
    397 x 305 - 19K