Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Use foley to mask clothing rustle
  • I have clothing rustle in the audio for one of my actors. The scene is indoors. What foley can I use to mask it ? I do not want to do ADR and redo the entire sound.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • A high pass filter might take out some of the boominess of the rustling. Did you only use lavs (no boom as well)?

I know very few indie productions, it seems, have the understanding and ability of setting shots to be "boom-able". Although, you may have had circumstances you couldn't help in your case – whether it's framing, gear access,etc.. so i'm not hounding you or anything. But this sounds like an ADR scenario and/or hiring out to a post guy.

Foley depends on what's going on in the particular scene, both on and off screen – so I'm guessing no one can really say without that in mind.

Sorry can't help much more than that – no one else responded, so I figured...

• Maybe try to isolate the sound if you can find one freq that's it's really hitting hard then try the high pass. Also the more layers you add to the post sound the more stuff will get buried. I've been the foley artist on a few features and I couldn't believe how many layers were added in post. So if you're just listening to it without anything else, it might sound worse than it is.

• Try a spectral editor. Spot noises will appear as clear visual which can be graphically erased, blended, healed, etc. Usually pretty effective. I have completely removed squealing bus brakes from street interviews.

• Cut in usable audio from other takes (you have some, right?) at those specific moments that need replacing. Don't worry about syncing with picture, that's what cutaways are for (hopefully you shot some of those too). Sometimes bad sound is the cinema gods telling you that a line is a throwaway - can you live without that particular dialogue? Masking discontinuities with motivated sound sources is a normal editing technique, so use sound fx if they make sense within the scene. Constant wind, traffic & aircraft noise are the only things I think demand ADR; most other noise can be cut out or around or masked with music or sfx to make them less noticeable. Good luck!

• Try a spectral editor. Spot noises will appear as clear visual which can be graphically erased, blended, healed, etc.

Some useful links

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4160/sony-spectralayers#Item_8

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6038/sonicworx-isolate#Item_1

Also check

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3539/deals-software-stuff-video-sound-and-photo-related#Item_21

Magix has cheap and good noise removal app with spectrum editor.

• I think the question is answered in the topic - sadly if it's bad enough to be angsty enough to ask here it needs re-recording - ADR and wild rerecords are part of the process of production - know it might fiscally hurt or may be not possible but next time ....