Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Second hand body to compliment GH2 - G3 or G2??
  • I am looking to purchase a second body to compliment my GH2 and lenses. I am looking at the G3 and G2 and was wondering what you guys think is the best option?

I am in the UK where these cameras can sell very cheaply on ebay

Thanks

CmountMan

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Note that any G/GX/GF series cameras are not on par with GH2 in terms of resolution. I believe they do not have proper 1080 but rather upscaled 720. Not good for wide detailed shots - cuts won't mix well. G3/GX1/G5 are on par with GH2 in low light, however - anything else in this line doesn't come close.

GH1 is another inexpensive option. Resolution is same as GH2's but lowlight - not as good. It also has fixed pattern noise with higher ISOs, problematic spanning with hacked firmware (GH1 is useless with stock FW) and moire.

So you always compromise on something with cheaper alternatives.

• Thanks for that I was thinking a G3 maybe my best bet as a lot of folk are selling theirs to buy a G5 can be picked up quite cheaply in the UK on ebay Ive seen them go for £150

• I am planning on doing most of my work on 720p anyway so I think the G3 uses 720 at 30p if that is correct?

Is not a problem as this can be used for static slow moving shots.

At higher bit rate it should be fine

I believe the G3 has the same sensor as the GH2

Am not sure if the processing is the same though

Any thoughts??