Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
mov 50i to 25p pulldown advice.
  • I think I might have made an amazing discovery with the D5200 but I need to do a 50i to 25p reverse telecine. I'm on a mac, I've got fcpx, premiere, after effects, and fcstudio 7 (not installed). I tried compressor but it looks like shit. I'm googling but I need some expert advice. Thanks.

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • You don't do inverse telecine from 50i to 25p. Inverse telecine removes 2:3 pulldown that is used to convert 24p film source to NTSC TV standard. 50i to 25p is just deinterlacing. A and B fields (odd and even, upper and lower) get combined into one progressive frame. So google deinterlacing 50i to 25p.

Ok now what's the discovery?

• Ahh right thanks, yeah got the terminology wrong, it's been a long day. I don't want to say anything until I'm sure, I have to re-test and re-check my workflow before I can confirm anything but it looks promising.

I've been trying to just straight deinterlace in compressor but the interlacing is still there.

• Ahm, after thinking about this you haven't got anything wrong, I apologize. It is probably ok to say reverse telecine even from 50i to 25p, it is just in most cases it is referred to just as deinterlacing, and inverse telecine as removal of 3:2 pulldown.

• hehe. I've haven't worked with interlaced material for over 10 years, I feel so unclean!. Shian suggested a method in After Effects so I'm trying that now.

• Inverse telecine is the inverse of a telecine's pull-down, usually 2:2 or 3:2. It's a specific kind of de-interlacing, and not one that applies here. inqb8tr, you were right the first time. A general de-interlacing is what he needs.

• The best plug-in is RS Fields Kit, but you can get decent results in AE itself.

The difference between true interlace and 3:2 pulldown: the latter is repeating content, it generates redundant data. True interlace is coming from distinct moments in time and has no redundancies.

• I'm shooting a feature for theatrical release and I can't afford any nasty surprises in post, so the question really is can I convert 60i source material to 24p without any voodoo magic?

When I open the 60i footage in quicktime or VLC player it plays back deinterlaced, but when I try to play it in FCPX it falls apart.

• @squig

Wait, 50i to 25p or 60i to 24p?

• 60i to 24p IS nasty! Why not shoot progressive?

• The D5200 progressive high ISO is really noisy, 50i and 60i is a lot cleaner. 50-25 or 60-24 either works for me, whichever produces the better image.

I've managed to get 60i to playback deinterlaced in a 24p timeline in fcpx but it's a bit soft. I'll try 50-25 and see how that goes.

• Why not shoot 24p? Is the Nikon really that much cleaner at 50/60i?

• Over 800 ISO yeah much cleaner.