Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How long will my relation with panny last?
  • Something in the vein of  luxury problems.
    I found myself breaking my head over what road to go when it comes to buying into a (new) lens system. 
    As a PAL native and I felt a little 'put off/betrayed' by panasonic because of the PAL related issues when it comes to the our beloved gh2.
    It raised pherhaps completely unnecessary questions like: Will I stick with lumix for the next couple of years? If not? Is it wise to infest a lot of money into a M43 system? 
    Since I feel that panasonic abandoned me and my PAL pals a little, will I stay faithful to them?
    So my question is, what would be a good way to go lensewise that does well on the GH2 but could also soften divorce procedure when going into a potential new marriage in the future?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • One of the coolest things for me about the GH2 is getting vintage glass. Inexpensive, good resale values, works with other formats. It's nice having a few dedicated m43 lenses though. I like like the 45-210 Lumix. It's also affordable.
  • Panasonic abandoned M43 PAL pals? Umm, ever heard of the Panasonic AG-AF100? The M43 is a great standard! There is no reason to abandon it!
  • Y'know, you have 1080i50, 720p50 and now with the hack 720p25. Plus the A100 in the wings. 'Abandoned' is a bit strong.

Or should I feel that was too just because there's no 1080p30 for the NTSC crowd?
  • If Canon ever loses their mirror (which it's rumored they might) then theoretically FD mount lenses might work on those new bodies. So a nice FD lens assortment may go the distance.
  • I've been assembling a fairly substantial set of FD prime lenses. Mirrorless seems like the future for DSLR (and video) cameras and these lenses will be useful for years to come.
  • Don't get me wrong i love my gh2 very much, it served me very well again in today's shoot.
    Maybe i was a bit overly dramatic in my post, what it comes down, is that I'm curious about which company will make make the big next thing in the upcoming years. And how will the M43 system last between the agressive but good technical competition.
    But without doubt my gh2 will be my partner in 'crime' for a as far as my eye can see ;)