Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Customised file size for spanning/splitting large AVCHD files for easier editing in NLE
  • Hello all,

When making long recordings with GH2, is there a way to control the file size of spanning, i.e. 100mb as opposed to 4GB?

Or maybe a post-file-splitting method?

Recently I’ve recorded a live event with a couple of GH2s and GF3s and a GH1, and the large files take forever to preview on the source monitor on my Premiere CS6.

My system is not actually bad - a hackintosh built in late 2011, 2600k CPU, 16GB of Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 memory, 128GB SSD for System drive, 3 x WD Raptors Raid 0 for media files and 3 x WD Black Raid 0 for scratch, and a GTX470 for CUDA.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

p.s. My apology if this has been discussed before, I just could not find one.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • There is no setting or hack to change the spanning file size. You can use any of a zillion different tools for joining and re-splitting your recordings with whatever size you want.

But I question whether the file size has anything to do with your slow previews in Premiere. It's the bit rates and the total file size that will affect preview times, not the sizes of individual files. Shoot at a lower bit rate, or use low bit rate proxy files, or an editor other than Premiere.

• Hi balazer,

Thanks for the tip. :)

• I use the "split and cut" feature of the free tsMuxeR Gui program for trimming Panasonic MTS files. version 10.6 is the latest... Sometimes I have to rename the clips to M2TS to trim, but, sigh....

• Are you importing the entire directory to preserve the metadata, do you have an i5 processor or better, and do you have CUDA turned on?

• @trevmar Thanks for letting me know such a program and its version, I will try that. Back in the DV days I used a program called CatDV LiveCapture Plus, where it let me capture DV tapes through Firewire and customised the length of the clips, very handy, guess we don't have the same luxury with AVCHD splitting programs.

@Dr Yes I have been importing the entire directory, I have an i7 2600k processor and CUDA turned on.

• Ah yes, the DV days... I used a program called "DV Live" which would detect scenes, and save each separately :)