Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Music Video, no crew, one work light, and still using CBrandin 66mb hack.
  • I've posted all the music videos I've made for unsigned band Ball Of Mayhem here, so here is the latest one:

Again there was no budget at all, except the £12 it took to buy the blowtorch! And again no crew was used.

I shot this using the GH2 with the original CBrandin 66mb patch, which I have never deviated from.

Lenses were all bought from ebay, and are: canon FD 50mm 1.8, Sigma FD 24mm 2.8, and a cheap wide angle adapter that is unbranded. All lenses cost in the region of £20-£25.

Everything was shot handheld, except for one tilt down using a tripod, and the shot near the end where I used a dslr flycam. I don't have any fast wides, so I used the 24mm lens with screw on wide adapter on some small rails on the Flycam. This was very heavy, and a bitch to operate, so I think a fast wide from Panasonic is necessary to get this type of shot unless you have the cash for a better stabiliser with vest/arm.

All footage with the masked character was shot at 80% speed with variable movie mode. I experienced my first write speed error shooting the extreme close-ups of the mask, using a fujifilm 16gb class 10 card. The rest of my cards are cheap Transcend 16gb class 10s and I have never had a problem with them.

All filters and grading are presets in Magic Bullet, some shots have a little vignetting added, but nothing major.

All band footage was done in one take per setup at the performance location as we were only permitted a small amount of time to get things done. The footage of the masked character was filmed in a small garage that was dressed with some simple dust sheets, and shot in a couple of hours. No lighting was used except for one work light we used at the performance space. The garage had one bare bulb and the illumination from the projector.

Hope everyone enjoys the vid, and would be happy to answer any questions about it!

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Was the sound recorded in a separate studio session with mix board, or did you record ambient on location? Really nice looking footage!

• Good looking video - well done. Thanks for posting

• Very good! Excellent end.

• Sound was recorded seperately in-studio. I was concerned that it drifts slightly out of sync when I uploaded it to YouTube.

Some advice on that issue that I got from another forum, was to set the audio at 48khz when exporting as opposed to 44.1khz, as that has been the source of some sync troubles for a few people it seems, even though Youtube, Vimeo etc specify 44.1khz.