Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hands-Free Shoulder Rigs
  • I've seen it here before but can't find the post now.. Anybody know of a good reliable Shoulder Rig that can be a hands-free support system? I have the GINI cage for GH2, and would like to incorporate one with it if possible. It would be an awesome tool when both hands are needed to zoom & focus on the fly.

Thanks!

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • I use this all the time, I feel totally comfortable just letting it hang on me if I need to use my hands for other things.. you can walk around hands free without it falling off.. as long as you don't over load it with weight and or have the weight unbalanced it is great shoulder rig, I use this for a wireless mobile rig, I have a HDMI wireless sender mounted on the back of the shoulder pad, that transmits back to the preview monitor for live preview for the rest of the crew. I position the camera right up to my eye and use the viewfinder usually, I have also done the same with a 7" lcd for monitoring on the rig.. but found the built in viewfinder to works better for stability reasons.. you can get it closer to your body and the viewfinder acts as another point of mounting when your heads pressed against it... its not expensive.. try it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036NMQ7S/

• How bout this?

http://www.albacamerasupport.com/index.html

Looks pretty, uh... flexible. ;)

• I've seen a few Easyrigs being used. I'd have expected to see some competition by now. Alibaba's ReadyRig looks like it might do the job but I can't say I've seen one in the field.

• @LPowell, Yep, cowboy chest pad/over the shoulder support works hands free with a rod rig, handles and camera with 14-140 lens, you can let go of the handles and it's very secure even without the strap.

This is what I'm using here in this photo. ( the bag over my shoulder is not part of it)

I quite often let go of the handles to hold a mic in one hand and an iphone with my interview notes in the other, camera keeps its position and i just "shallow breath" so the rig doesn't rise and fall from the pad on my chest (the OIS usually takes care of any small motions)

image.jpg
    960 x 642 - 169K
    image.jpg
    720 x 478 - 73K
  • Just a heads up, be careful with this part of the cowboy shoulder mount, the embedded nut underneath is not all that securely encased in the plastic, mine failed 1st day, i don't use that part anymore, i use the rail riser to gain height, the rest of the kit is great.

nut.JPG
    663 x 454 - 42K
  • The easyrigs are made on my doorstep, basically. Very popular with broadcast camera guys. I haven´t tried it myself though. I didn´t like using the cowboy, tried it once. Impossible to get it into a good working position. Had to break my back for any tilting action exceeding 15 degree angle.

• RRRR, yes i agree, on its own the cowboy is tilt restrictive due to the chest pad, but with the inclusion of the rails and handles its simply a matter of lifting the chest pad clear of the chest so the shoulder support arm acts as a regular shoulder support. I have no problems positioning on a boat standing or crouching and shooting at various angles.

This new video was all shot with Cowboy Studio Shoulder Support rig as in the photos above. 180degree whip pans, tilts and static shots.

• No hands at all with the cowboy rig and even more weight.

image.jpg
    264 x 191 - 18K
  • @Rambo That pic is tiny. Can we have a bigger one? In particular I want to know what construction do you use to fix the mic underneath the rig? And what brand of rails with handles is it?

• @zigizigi check this post for more pics and info, further down I give info on the rails etc.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4034/longest-lens-to-shoot-handheld-video-with-on-gh2/p1