Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Adventure/Outdoors Cinematography Settings/Lenses/Advice
  • Hello everyone.

I am very interested in making documentaries on people who do endurance based adventures out in the wilderness.

I wonder, as I wish to make cinematic looking documentaries, what are some good lenses I should be looking for - for use with the GH2?

Also, is the Flowmotion V2.2 hack a good one to use with my subject in mind?

I want to shoot fast action (think rock climbing, kayaking, running, mountaineering) in varying weather conditions.

I have a GO PRO HD Hero 2 also.

I currently have a GH2 and 14-140mm lens kit.

Any advice is welcome! thanks.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • i also want to get wide angle shots of landscapes.

• You already have what is needed :) That combo is great unless you plan to shoot lot of stuff in low light. Then you might need something faster, like the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95. Trouble is there are few stabilized fast lenses besides the new 12-35 and 35-100 2.8.

• Thanks oscillian :) I was reading somewhere that anamorphic lenses are good for landscapes, but if you think I can do ok with what Ive got then this makes me happy!! I guess i can use the Go Pro for underwater/rainy shots and then the GH2 for interviews, landscapes, and dry weather shots also.

I like the sound of a flycam/steadicam... for getting good shots with movement in them. Is there a particular model that is reputable?

• Also, I was looking at 50mm prime lenses for interview set ups, where I might like to play with depth of field and change focus a lot... I am not sure if it will give me anything that my 14-140 lens won't already offer... or how to fix it to the GH2 if it needs an adapter..

• You could 1) use the 14-140, step back and zoom in to get that shallow DOF, 2) get a used Canon FD 50 1.4 with FD to m43 adapter (plenty on ebay, I like the Fotga brand) or 3) if your budget allows it: get the Olympus 45mm f1.8, absolutely gorgeous lens!

• Check out these videos for some inspiration: 14-140 on the GH1: those are some landscapes for ya!

Mix of GoPro, Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95, Lumix 14-140mm f/4-5.8, Lumix 20mm f/1.7, Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6, Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 and Glidecam HD-1000:

Look especially from 03:32

• loved the first video. Absolutely stunning work. Second video had one shot in particular where (around 4:40 - 4:45) we see an epic landscape. love how the general mix up between go pro and gh2 footage works well together. Thankyou for inspiration!

• So you see: the 14-140 is a keeper :) Good luck!

• Thanks oscillian, most helpful indeed!

• @SAS

There are so many good 50mm lenses which cost next to nothing. Also very cheap adapters are available for any mount. FD 50mm f/1.4 is overpriced in my opinion, you have to stop it down to 4.5 to get usable performance (save if you like blur and unsharp). Canon FD 50mm f/3.5macro is optically superior and cheaper, also slower but it has @ 3.5 (open) awsome IQ. Check also for Nikon Ai f/1.8 or f/2.0 - or Minolta Rokkor f/1.7 who cost next to nothing, such a great lens.