Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Carbon Stabiliser Issue
  • Hi there,

Just wanted to make aware a situation I've had with the Wondlan Carbon Stabiliser for those who may be thinking of purchasing one.

I got mine back in April and due to various reasons I've only really used about 3 times for any great length. When I went to use it the other day I noticed that the screw that tightens the plate to the base had stripped and so no longer tightened, essentially rendering the stabiliser an expensive walking stick.

I spoke to Wondlan about it and they've told me I need to buy a new part + shipping. I didn't really that was fair considering it was clearly their issue, I've only been using it as directed and the part has failed. So now I have got them down to just need to paying for shipping (which really still isn't acceptable). What's concerned me more is that it is the same part they are replacing it with, they haven't engineered a better part even though they admitted they knew of the problem. So basically I'm paying for a part that I know is going to fail again.

The reason I'm bringing this to other people's attention is that when I said I wasn't really happy about paying for the same part as it was likely to fail again, the rep told me to 'be more careful'.

Obviously I want to get my stabiliser up and running again but I thought anyone who was thinking about getting one would like to know.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • First, I need photos of broken part and, preferably, video.

Second, I see quite bad habit to generalize specific problem and show it as common. While I do not see any other reports about it.

Third, all this story with "not acceptable". If you got it from deals, you need to contact me first.

• Vitaliy,

I did say I was only making people aware. I am not decrying the product or commiting a logical fallacy. You're quite right that it may not be a common fault, it is still however a fault. My concern here is not that the product is poor, neither am informing people not to buy one; but simply the part that has failed (in this case a simple screw thread) is something that is quite likely to happen again, unless it was a bad batch of screws. Obviously as the replacement is coming from far away it becomes a greater concern.

As to 'not acceptable' I did not think to contact you in regards to a warranty repair as I presumed my warranty was with Wondlan and not through you. I can send you a video no problem.

I was simply put off by the 'be more careful' response mixed with surprise that such an otherwise well made piece of kit would be subject to such an odd problem.

• I totally agree with @rrsduncan .

• @tonalt

Agree with what?

@rrsduncan

but simply the part that has failed (in this case a simple screw thread) is something that is quite likely to happen again, unless it was a bad batch of screws

Again, do not make generalization of the problem. I am waiting for photos and/or video.