Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
No credits at beginning?
  • I'm going to send a short film out to some film fests pretty soon. My inclination at the moment is not to roll any credits, not even a title card, until the ending. Anyone have an opinion on this?

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • I don't think it makes any difference unless you're using the opening credit scenes as a dramatic element.

• I've seen this in war and high action stuff before to give that sudden "Holy Shit" moment but that's about it. I'm sure it's been done thousands of times before though. I do think you should have a reason to do it though.

• Quite a trend over the past decade. Off the top of my head I can think of Miami Vice, Punch-Drunk Love, Pan's Labyrinth, The Tree of Life. If it's good enough for Mann, Anderson, Del Toro and Malick, I'm sure it's good enough for you.

• @brianluce

You mean no Title card "DUR: 12:00:00 TITLE: My Title STARTS: Fade from black, flute music ENDS: Fade to black, credits" info for the projectionist;

no countdown to "cue from" as we needed with film or tape?

It may be time for a change but for now I'd be doing what the other contestants do.

• I shoot for one director where 3 films out of every 4 don't have opening titles.

• I don't mean no countdown. I mean no credits at the beginning. Not even title.

• Personally, I think if you want it to have that vibe .. I'd put one up for 4 seconds then 4 seconds of nothing before the first shot

• I like it better without credits and title. I already know the name of the movie I bought the ticket to see. I also usually already know who's in it but I'd rather be whisked away into movieland rather than study a handful of names to let me know who is pretending to be people in the movie.

• I like it better without credits and title. I already know the name of the movie I bought the ticket to see. I also usually already know who's in it but I'd rather be whisked away into movieland rather than study a handful of names to let me know who is pretending to be people in the movie.

That's where I kinda coming from. I'm also lousy at making title graphics.