Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
best 1080i patch for various recording situations?
  • Hi,

I am looking for either one 'do-it-all' patch, or a couple of patches I can keep on cards for different situations shooting web/corporate stuff...

1 - Studio, loads of light, mostly product demo stuff

2 - Location - as above

3 - Location - as above but poor light

4 - on a fishing boat, at night, trawling - loads of contrast...

Am currently using flowmotion 2.2, but sometimes the card refuses to be written to (this happens a load less since using the SD ass. formatter) Cards are 95mbps sandisk from Amazon - mostly 16gb.

I am currently trawling through a whole load of posts and tyrying out a few patches, but any help greatly appreciated.

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • Hi.

1080i what? 50i or 60i?

re 50i:

as to #1 - if I understand corretly your are referring to tabletop style work with static scenes, video only. Me personally I use Sedna A AQ1 for this kind of scenes and shoot in 24p mode. I then import frame-by-frame in a 25p or 50i timeline. You could just as well use one of driftwood's other Intra patches for this (e.g. Mysteron or maybe also Boom). SEDNA AQ1: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/74698#Comment_74698

as to #2-#4 try these settings:

GOLGOP13-A: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/91015#Comment_91015

Sanity 5: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2642/sanity-4-and-5/p1

Sainty 3: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/63791#Comment_63791

Sanity 3 modified (HQ Matrix): http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/63801#Comment_63801

"Am currently using flowmotion 2.2, but sometimes the card refuses to be written to"

Again: 50i or 60i? Flowmotion 2.2 is not really stable in HBR/25p and FSH/50i. If you like the settings I can provide you a modified version of FloMo 2 that is pretty stable in PAL modes.

• @davesofa @towi

Aside from restrictions on auto-exposure features in 720p SH mode, I haven't encountered any reliability issues in 1080p and 1080i modes with Flow Motion v2.02. If there are specific shooting conditions and settings where you've run into problems, send the details and I'll investigate and see if I can reproduce it.

• Highly recommend Sanity 5. It works extremely well in 1080i, including ETC mode. Not too many people are interested in shooting interlace, so I'll just mention that ETC in interlace is one of the GH2's best kept secrets. ETC seems to have much less dual row summation compared to normal interlace. Consequently, it's vertical resolution is almost the same as progressive, which is great.

• @towi

If you like the settings I can provide you a modified version of FloMo 2 that is pretty stable in PAL modes.

I'd like to give it a look :-)

• @LPowell

actually... shooting all kind of high contrast highly detailed scenes (high contrast death chart, bush of death in sunlight... so daylight landscape scenes with lots of fine details) with a sharp lens FloMo 2 crashes quite often in HBR/25p or FSH/50i (card speed error on 32Mbits or 95Mbits SanDisk Class 10 cards). Generally I am finding FloMo2 a great setting... but for PAL users it's a bitch. I've lowered the bitrate for FSH a bit and use the 50i frame limit of FloMo V2.0. Works just great... mostly. In some rare, demanding cases even my modified settings crash (again card speed error).

I have never - never! - seen GOLGOP13 (several versions) or Sanity (all Versions) crashing on my cam with my lenses and my cards (all SanDisk class 6, class 10, 20Mbits, 30Mbits, 95Mbits, 4, 8, 16, 32GB). When I go out for a paid job here in PAL land I use... well... good old Sanity 3 (my HQ version). Although, again, I have to say GOLGOP13 has never let me down, so actually I could be brave enough to use GOLGOP13 on a job, too. The latest version looks just great in any case. Only downside (on certain jobs)...: file size.

@davesofa what @Ralph_B is saying makes sense. I trust him and his test procedures very much. So I'd say maybe try Sanity 5 first ...

• @rikyxxx

I'm on my labtop right now. Will post it when I am at home at my main computer ...

• @towi

shooting all kind of high contrast highly detailed scenes (high contrast death chart, bush of death in sunlight...

Can you be more specific with the settings you're using that produce failures in PAL HBR or FSH mode? I've shot a wide variety of subjects under those conditions and have not encountered any failures using Flow Motion v2.02.

• @LPowell

"Can you be more specific with the settings you're using that produce failures in PAL HBR or FSH mode? I've shot a wide variety of subjects under those conditions and have yet to encounter any failures using Flow Motion v2.02."

ugh... I think "bush of death" nails it pretty much. Any kind of landscape scenes containing high frequency details all over the image shot in sunlight and stopped down for a large depth of field (f5.6, f8, f11). I use the Panasonic 2.5/14, 1.7/20, the Voigtländer Nokton 0.95/25 and the Zeiss 2.0/50. The issue applies to all these lenses. I mostly shoot at ISO400 with filmmode "smooth" -2|-2|-1|-2.

• @towi Sorry, but I don't have any of those lenses and your description covers tests I've run successfully many times. If you can produce an example of a test subject that fails with specific camera settings, I'll try to reproduce it with my equipment. In practical terms, if I can't predictably induce the kind of failure you're describing, I have no way to investigate it.

• @LPowell

What lenses is Flowmotion 2 tested with? Lumix 14-140? Lumix 14-45? Lumix 14-42?

With AF in use?

• @towi I asked for specific shooting examples and camera settings that produce the recording errors you claim to have encountered. Instead, you have the gall to post an adulterated copy of Flow Motion v2 without even bothering to discuss this with me via PM or any other means. At this point, you have posted no verified examples of any recording errors that support your claims.

A major point of Flow Motion v2.02 is that it is NOT an experimental patch. It has been tested extensively over a six month period and downloaded well over a 1000 times at this point. I've also committed to provide direct technical support to all users who report actionable issues or provide original GH2 source footage that I can analyze.

To be certain that you have an original, unadulterated copy of Flow Motion v2.02, download it directly from the link in the first post of the following thread:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2-100mbps-fast-action-performance-reliability-for-class-10-sd-cards/p1

• @LPowell

At this point, you have posted no verified examples of any recording errors that support your claims

Now, this is quite time consuming and I don't have the time to reproduce the issues.

If you feel FM2 is perfect ... so be it.

you have the gall to post an adulterated copy of Flow Motion v2

By posting the modified settings I just wanted to be helpful. But I've asked Vitaliy to delete them... as you suggested.

• @towi Thank you, I'd be happy to discuss the technical issues involved in the modifications you made to Flow Motion v2.02.

• @LPowell

Thanks! Honestly I am not much interested in discussing the technical details... as I simply don't know much about video encoders. This is why it would be a pretty single-sided discussion ;-)

But I tell you, believe it or not, that I had crashes with FloMo2 in HBR/25p mode, just like the OP. Unfortunately... because generally it's a great setting.

My modified version is more stable inHBR/25p mode ... but still not completely safe.

With the very same camera, the same lenses, the same SD cards, the same batteries, the same everything... for instance GOLGOP13 runs stable.

• @towi thanks

@LPowell I asked towi to share his modified version of FloMo2 just to look into it. I didn't think it would "irritate" you. Sorry about it.

I hope you both will share your knowledge to improve FloMo2, if needed and possible.

• Towi, perhaps you can just say what changes you made to the settings to make them more stable.

• Take cluster v7 nebular sharp 2

• Hi Guys, thanks for all your help, just got back to land of living and a load of stuff to try... (fyi, am shooting PAL, 50i.)

Formatting cards properly seems to help a lot with the write issues - will have a play about with the patches suggested and let you know how it goes...