Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
voightlander nokton 25mm vs lumix g x vario 12-35
  • any thoughts? I really like the voightlander for low light performance, but curious about the lumix 12-35 stabilizing ability I've seen amazing footage from both lenses, but I was wondering what would be best for normal everyday use. I guess i'm looking for the pros & cons

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • The voigtlander is a legendary m43 lens. Its my #1 most used lens by far. But the Lumix is also a great lens, but i'd moreso just use it for walk around/docu stuff. The stabilization is huge, and although its still a f2.8, thats still not fast enough for lots of natural light situations. Just depends what type of stuff you're trying to film. The voigtlander is very sharp, but a more "natural" looking lens. What people would refer to as "filmic", which of course is very subjective. But the 12-35 is more bitingly sharp and clinical than the voigtlander as all panasonic lenses tend to look.

• i'm thinking of getting both, the voightlander will for sure join my collection, the lumix I more or less want to test out. I think i've seen some unhappy with the Lumix, but they may be because they are using it with an Olympus camera, or just no using it properly.

• Once you get the voightlander, you'll never look back... its my favourite lens too. It's got character.

• Nokton has superb bokeh. It renders colors with a slight yellow tint which appears to some as 'natural' but can easily be graded in for any lens. I found it's fast apertures useless until f1.4, then it gets excellent. But your limited to 25mm and no IS. 12-35mm seems to be a fantastic zoom lens quality wise. I was sceptical about bokeh but it looks good to me.

bokeh test 12-35mm vs. 25mm 1.4 vs 25 0.95 vs 20mm 1.7

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/25m43/index.htm

and samples of 12-35mm shot on Oly om-d em-5 (sharpness top notch and bokeh much better than expected)

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/08/10/the-panasonic-12-35-f2-8-zoom-lens-review-for-micro-43-the-best-zoom-available-for-micro-43-by-far/

• They are both very deferent lens. F2.8 vs F0.95, prime vs zoom, oss vs none......

Cost wise they are about the same. I have the 25 nokton and it is a very good optic especially in low light, there are some IQ issues in the .95-1.4 range but a lot of those problems will not show up shooting video and I will take that over a bump in ISO. @F2 this guy is sharp!

If I needed a lens for handheld work/ run and gun, then the 12-35mm makes a lot of sense.

Something to think about is picking up a 14-45mm lumix lens and the nokton. You get a wider zoom range and if you need to do the lowlight shots you have the nokton to help out.

• +1 with @bitcrusher totally different lenses for different needs and so very difficult to compare because of this.

If run and gun without stabilisation (rig/stabiliser) is your thing and you need working distance flexibility, then 12-35 is your man. I'd say everyday use is classed as run and gun with variable working distance. I used to use my 14-140 in that way. But then I stopped using it everyday :-)

• For run-n-gun style, Gh3 + 12-35mm kit would be nice as the body seems having better high ISO performance.

• Why the 25mm specifically? It´s nice and all, and If you have a choice get them both, but be sure to check out the 17,5mm as it´s an amazing lens. Sex appeal factor is way, way beyond anything that can come out of the 12-35 and IMO it has a little more to it than the 25mm, although I´ve only used that one briefly. It´s on my lens list though, for sure.

But like many are saying here, these are very different things. Some of the best native m43 primes vs. a good zoom. The 12-35 is a good lens to have, no doubt but it´s really bland in comparison (at similar focal lengths). The 12-35 is sort of clinical (sharp), OIS is good, it has some aperture glitches while zooming, and feels plasticky when zooming, too. So don´t get it unless you plan to use it instead of primes.