Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Kickstarter now more sane
  • Added this to their rules:

• Product simulations are prohibited. Projects cannot simulate events to demonstrate what a product might do in the future. Products can only be shown performing actions that they’re able to perform in their current state of development.
    • Product renderings are prohibited. Product images must be photos of the prototype as it currently exists.

Via: http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

So, Digital Bolex won't happen now :-)

Of course, they did so not because of love towards people, they just have bunch of projects that can not deliver the product or deliver something sub par.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I think I like this.

• Something like this clearly had to happen. No renderings at all seems a little extreme but I guess it's important. I've been tempted but never quite felt comfortable with the idea of a Kickstarter in general.

Recently however, I must admit being intrigued by the idea of using it as a distribution platform for a film, as opposed to a means of raising funds for production. That idea has some legs.

• Hmmm... I think this is a move in the right direction. Though I think they should be a little lenient when it comes to renderings.

Imagine if a company like Red followed this philosophy? There would be a whole lot less frustration for potential customers.

• So I have a question about my anamorphic adapter development:

If i build a working prototype and show the pieces, the assembling process and the image from it on a vimeo video to prove it works, would this be enough to open a project in kickstart to build the final version?

• I believe so. Why not?

I think what they are trying to get away from is multiple renderings with nothing more to show or prove that a "real" product is being worked on. Anyone good in 3D modeling can come up with a decent looking render to push a concept. But what's actually going on in the background is something else. Proof is in the pudding.

• @apefos Yes, the change in the policy is that you have to base it on something real. Photographs and real-world videos are fine - they are talking about computer-generated content/drawings and also about people saying "this is what the product can do" when they are actually saying "this is what it should be able to do/will be able to do".

Real world demos are fine, as are snapshots and demo videos made using the actual equipment etc.

• @apefos Yes, they want a working prototype now, and a demonstration of what the prototype does, or what it produces. There were too many people raising money from a drawing/CG rendering and a theory of how it should work. After they raised the money, they would build the prototype and find out how wrong they were. Kickstarter wants you to build and test a prototype first, then raise money for production.