Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
256Gb SD Cards - You knew they were coming
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • Kind of a waste IMO Shian. A dangerous waste at that. I get nervous enough having 64 gigs of video waiting for transfer.

• Maybe I've just been lucky, or good at picking out high quality brands, but I've never had an SD card fail on me.

I'll buy a couple of these cards once the price goes down a little ($900 is too much). Being able to shoot 4 hours of the Sedna / CM Night / AN GOP1 footage, or 16 hours of Sanity 5, to one card, is awesome for what I do.

• yeah, scary, but utterly amazing that they can do it. 16GB is good for me for now...

• What's more amazing is that the actual limit for the SD form factor is 2TB ! I forget what exactly what the speeds are supposed to peak at, but if memory serves me it was somewhere in the 250 MB/s range. I do agree that some cards seem to have issues after too many insertions. But it does seem the higher end cards are much less prone to this. I suppose a clam shell holder on cameras would extend the life of the cards, but then we have to worry about the clam shell design on the camera breaking. I think as we reach the limit for SD cards either a new form is coming (cylinders?), or simply a settling of prices and capacity. Really though 2TB seems more than adequate for all but the purest professional usage, and those guys have other options. Just my opinion of course.

Just a side note cause I really don't know where to post this, but a few moments ago I was offloading some footage onto my PC via a USB3 card reader, and something strange and in my limited view of these things phenomenal happened. First I saw an 8gb sandisk card which usually is read by the reader at 35mbs, jump up to 90+!, ok, that was interesting and time saving, but then when I transferred my final 2.3GB AVCHD file from a Silicon Power 16gb card which is usually read at a meager 19mb/s, the file transfered in under 3 seconds!!! WTF, I didn't believe it, so I did it again to a new folder, this time it took about 5 seconds, still WTF!!!! It happened, no doubt, but it is hard for me to comprehend how. Anyone care to venture a guess how 2.3gb gets transfered from a slow class 10 card to a HD via a USB 3 reader in 3 seconds? Perhaps I broke the secret govenor?

• 32gb is the max for me... Once the plastic teeth things give out I'm dead... Inserted a sandisk extreme incorrectly before and destroyed those plastic teeth...

• @mee

Oh dear. You have tripped the SD into VVVF mode (codename "Diahorrea") which Sandisk were not going to release until April 1 2013.

• Anyone care to venture a guess how 2.3gb gets transfered from a slow class 10 card to a HD via a USB 3 reader in 3 seconds? Perhaps I broke the secret govenor?

This thing is called OS read caching :-)

• @goanna, Very Very Very fast mode?

@ vitaliy, really?

I suspect you are both joking with me? I am a bit drunk right now though, and gullible ;)

edit, goanna, I just caught the April 1st part ;) LOL, still trying to figure out Vitaliy's comment. OS read Caching, hmm like a cash register? Caching! ??? Thank you for your file, please use this card again, lol, I should sleep. Fuckin Karaoke parties ~_O

• @mee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_(computing)

Just read something about read caching implementations. Moder OS can have very advanched caching, especially if you have big amount of RAM.

• @vitaliy, alright that makes a bit of sense, though it was the first time I transferred the file off the card. I am guessing some of the stuff in that wiki link that is a bit over my head explains it ( i did read it all).

• first time I transferred the file off the card.

It can just read ahead :-) Smart machine.

• This could be used to turn our smartphones into actual computing devices like the Asus Padfone that's a smartphone that plugs into a dock that turns it into a tablet then combined with a keyboard dock turns that into a laptop