Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Telescope & GH2 Combination - is it possible??
  • Hi all,

I have looked through the search function and no relevant results come up when I browse for this topic, so here's my new thread:

I am interested in astronomy as well as wildlife and videography/sound recording/film making in general.

Does anyone know if I can connect my new Panasonic GH2 video camera to a telescope such as the Celestron SkyProdigy™ 130 Computerized Telescope, for catering stills and videos of the moon and distant wildlife such as deers, birds etc?

I have seen a number of videos where people have used a telescopic lens in conjunction with the GH2 to film the moon and wildlife. But I am interested to know whether or not it is possible to connect a whole telescope to the GH2...

Thanks.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • My friend has a telescope and some kind of adapter from telescope to eos, probably there is similar thing from telescope mount to m4/3. Basically camera is connected to the place where telescope eyepiece would go.

• @inqb8r ...

Thanks! I wasn't sure quite how this could be achieved, if at all. I guess that if I look into telescope mounts for m4/3, I might find the solution now. Nice one.

• You most definitely can use the GH2 with an astronomical telescope. It appears that the Celestron SkyProdigy has a 1.25 in focuser, so this is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-T-Mount-Panasonic-AG-AF100/dp/B003EAVUO8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You need both the Fotodiox T-Mount Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 adapter + the Celestron 93625 Universal 1.25-inch Camera T-Adapter.

The only problem you might run into is that the focuser might not have enough in-travel to bring the camera to focus. If this is the case, then it's a no-go.

• @Ralph_B ...

thanks I will look at that link now, sounds great, I hope that the focus will work otherwise like you say it will be rendered useless...

• I hate to sound pessimistic, but most likely the focuser won't have enough in-travel. Wherever you but the adapter, make sure you can return it.

• Hi I've got a télescope skywatcher (mirror 200mm/1000mm focal) on M42 mount and I'm able to focus correctly ,I use the adapter for a Meade astronomy caméra ,it's a M42 on it and short enough to focus correctly with a M42 to MFT adapter,As Ralph_B said you have to try to see if your focuser has enough travel-in ,if not you will have to change for a shorter focuser or MFT adapter (if it missed just a little travel to focus)