Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Editing in CS6 with Epic and GH2 question
  • (Also posted to REDuser) I shot a short on the Epic for the first time last weekend and loved it! The short consists of boxing scenes done with the Epic, POV shot and flashback scenes done with the GH2. We shot on the Epic at 5k widescreen and used crop lines for the GH2 to match the frame. The Epic footage is staying native and the GH2 footage is being transcoded in 5DtoRGB to prores422(hq). I'm helping the director prep the footage for his editor and had a question about the editing sequence in CS6. In what way should he mix the Epic and GH2 shots? Having the sequence set on Red 1920x810 keeps the GH2 at its native resolution but, of course, the 5k Epic footage is large. Should we keep the sequence like that and scale down the Epic footage, or is there another way of doing this? Thanks for your help!

ps. If there is a thread already about this, I apologize and will halt my thread.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Depends on what you want to do. You could scale down the epic footage or you could start the entire project as 4-5k and upscale the gh2 footage to that, it's going to eat up a bunch more storage and ram but it would probably end up a little better quality (overall, if say you edit/master in 4k then output to 1080p or whatever) . You would probably have to sharpen the gh2 footage somewhat etc. if your final output is online it might not matter a whole lot. My 2 cents...

• What's the best way to upsacle the footage. I've never done it before.

• I'm running the last gen software but just right click on the clip in the timeline and select "scale to frame" or something like that and it does it all for you, so if your project is 1080 it will scale the epic footage down, if u are in 4k project it will upscale the gh2 footage. Being that it's such a huge difference you will probably have to render it unless you have a monster system/video card.

• I would decide from final product and distribution. It doesn't really make much sense to upscale the whole lot if you never screen more than HDTV. Scaling your GH2 stuff up and down again in the end will inevitably introduce some softness. That said, you can introduce some fake resolution with grain in 4K (see the long thread about it), but grain can be a problem if another stage of heavy compression is involved like Vimeo or YT.

Plus, you have a lot of reframing possibilities with the Epic footage in HDTV, even generating different shots from one.

BTW, scaling on output in CS6 is better with CUDA than with software only.

• @Greek_m43

From my personal experience I can tell you that your question depends on the final product you wanna get. If you wanna screen your footage "at an IMAX" theater then you gotta scale up the GH2 footage.

Anyway, you gotta realize that for now no NLE software has a good built-in upscale technology!!! Even CS6!

If you upscale the GH2 footage to 5k you have to (probabaly) sharpen some details and you'll probably get some macroblocking and/or moire problems. Anyway, your final resolution will only seem it's 5k, but it won't be like that for real. You won't get the missing pixels out of HD and make it appear in 5k. You have to interpolate. But interpolation doesn't have to do anything with a true resolution.

All I can add - in case you wanna have your footage to be upscaled with the highest quality (the most possible at this time) you may use the specialized software called "super resolution" from infognition. It's a filter for VirtualDub, but I heard they were gonna make this for After Effects too.

I use this filter in VirtualDub and its results are the BEST you can get from a "software" upscale technology method for now.

Anyway, in your case I would scale down the Epic footage.

• Whatever happened to the try a few frames each way technique?

• I'll have him try different things from what you guys said. Thank you very much! I didn't get much help on RedUser.