Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Second monitor and video playback
  • Looking from expirience, second monitor have certain restrictions if you want to playback videos on it (in Windows).

You can get quite weird stuttering or strange behaviour (like normal work in window mode, and issues in full screeen).

My understanding is that this is related to DirectX behaviour and how card drivers are written.
    Specifically how render surface behaves and that features are accelarated (on second monitor).
    For example, you can have issue accelarating deinterlacing.
    Also it is related to Aero and how it uses DirectX (that is the reason for many players to disable Aero).

Btw, saw reports about similar issues on Macs.

P.S. Btw issues can also happen if you use moder Tvs with frame interpolation, be sure to turn it off.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • i use my flat-screen TV as second monitor throe the hdmi out from the radeon cart.
    i have no problems with it......

• @mozes

It depends on the footage, your render method (EVR, etc), and your codecs :-)

Progressive footage behave much better, usually :-)

• As Meierhans stated in the thread "Cheap 27" 2560x1440 monitors based on S-IPS panels" the Eizo Foris FX2431 accepts and works internally with 50hz. My NEC Multisync EA232WMI accepts 50 hz but converts internally to 60hz. But this mus be hackable, doesn´t it?

About TV´s. I remember, I tried some LG Plasmas here in PAL-land, they all wanted 60hz via HDMI from my Macbook. But an old Panasonic plasma TH-42PZ70E (from 2006 I guess) bought from a friend demands 50hz via HDMI right from the start. So I guess, "modern" TV´s accept only 60hz when thy "see" a computer in the input as a result of oversimplification (or not wanting to write more versatile firmware)

I also remember: Until Mac OS-X Leopard, the 50HZ Video Material / 60 hz display issue was solved by "tearing" the image. A pan was torn into horizontal stripes to compensate the 50/60 timing issue. Still, motion was fluent. (I see this "tearing" still on the desktop playback of current PC-AVID-systems) With and after OS-X Leopard, Frames are inserted and so stuttering playback

Also, Quicktime Player would play 50hz material more fluent than Quicktime based FCP on the second monitor.

• So I guess, "modern" TV´s accept only 60hz when thy "see" a computer in the input as a result of oversimplification (or not wanting to write more versatile firmware)

Modern TV work fine with 50/60 in any region normally. Also work fine in true 24 or 23,97.

• Let´s replace "accept" with "want". When I can´t switch my PC´s HDMI out to 50hz, this monitor is useless for Pal-editing.