Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Next Step for GH2 Hacking, Extending ETC mode?
  • First of all, this is not an idea that I came up with. I'm sharing what Walt shared. As I read his post, it made a lot of sense to me. So I'm curious if the team (aka Vitaliy) have thought about ETC mode as a possibility to get more resolution from the GH2. I'm sure that there are all kinds of insane coding that has to be uncovered, but as ETC mode takes the RAW 1920x1080 out of the middle of the sensor and dishes that to the encoder, logically it seems that it might not be AS difficult to extend the amount of the sensor that ETC mode reads and translate that into raw resolution.

Now chances are this has been thought about and again, I know very well it's not just changing a couple of 1920s to 2520s, but just throwing the idea out on the off chance that Vitaliy hadn't yet thought of it yet. I did do a search of this forum though it's hard to search for something quite that specific, and I didn't find anything. Anyway, here's the post where I got the idea (props to Walt).

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to use the crop mode (extra tele conversion) of the gh2 to film in 21:9 in 1080p... I'm not very into this but as I understand in the crop mode the gh2 just uses the centre field (1920px1080p) of its chip. So actually there should be the capacity to extend the centre field to 2520px1080p (21:9), no? Would it be possible (i.e. in part of a hack) to create this feature (theoretically)? Or am I missing a point anywhere?

I haven't found anything about this on the internet and maybe this is because this idea is kind of a stupid thought, but then I would also be very thankfull if someone made be stop dreaming.

Thanks, walt

• 1 Reply sorted by
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions