Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
4K USB 3.0 camera with raw option, less than 1K
  • usb3-camera.jpg
    800 x 464 - 109K
    usb3-camera1.jpg
    800 x 582 - 161K
  • 47 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting. Only 21fps @ 4K, though

• @Oedipax

Yep, but you have option to capture any region, so must be very easy to push towards 24fps

I think main interest could be for 3D, as it is small sensors cameras with very compact casing.

• Are there any sample videos out there cause I can't find none..

• Interesting company - they also do a sort of "surround" video camera: http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug3/Ladybug3_360_video_camera.asp - obviously an innovative bunch, even if watching that seems to mess with your head a bit.

• The guy testing the Kineraw-8p said a cam like this to capture 1080p raw, would cost around $300 for the manufacture to build and tried talking to one maker into building one, but they didn't see the value and wanted a huge upfront payment to prototype it.

That 4K doesn't look like it would work for most people and doesn't say if it would capture lower resolution at higher fps, BUT they have a 2K model that shoots 60fps, costs $800. Nice potential but you'd need to tether it to a PC or laptop for capture. Still, a decent usb 3 laptop plus cam would be around $2k? Your own diy Digital Bolex now for less than their prices. Or at least would be now except they're out of stock, lol.

• Still, a decent usb 3 laptop plus cam would be around $2k?

Where you got this number?

It is certainly not 2k. USB 3.0 is present now in about 90% of notes.

• This is cool 4k raw option. Any suggestions on what notebook would be the best for this. Is there something small form factor that would also offer hdmi out. What about running this into a samari or other portable recorder.

• Any suggestions on what notebook would be the best for this.

Go to the link and look at PDFs.

Is there something small form factor that would also offer hdmi out.

Why you need HDMI?

What about running this into a samari or other portable recorder.

WHole idea is that you don't need pricey recorder :-)

• 1.3MP Raw,

150fps,

4.8 pixel pitch,

1/2",

That one's the winner.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I mean total cost under $2k for the $800 2K raw model cam PLUS a laptop to capture.

But then the next question is can it capture raw on a regular notebook hard drive or do you need to use a SSD? And how strong a processor do you need to capture? I have a HDMI capture card called Avermedia HD DVR. It's the only other card on the market, at the time I bought it, that had HDMI inputs. It can only do 1080i max, and my processor isn't strong enough to go that high.

So you'd need a laptop with USB 3, plus SSD, plus strong processor. You may not need pricey recorder, but how much would that laptop cost? If this cam works as advertised, it's defenitely a good step in the right direction for the money, but as you've said, the price of entry to Raw shooting is higher then most people realize.

EDIT: @Sage that one lists as "mono", ie. black and white only. The next model above it has a color option but only goes 120fps. Resolution is also only slightly better than 720p, but looks like 4:3 ratio. 2x Anamorphic Raw at 120fps anyone? ^_^

• agreed! wish they made a thunderbolt version

• *Global

• So you'd need a laptop with USB 3, plus SSD, plus strong processor.

As I said, USB 3.0 is standard now.
    SSD you can buy and install in any normal laptop, if you want, you can also choose one with two 2.5" places. As for CPU, any normal laptop now is 4 core. Just get good 4 core Ivy Bridge.

• Here's a nice laptop with USB 3, 1 TB disk, 8 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD, Intel Quad Core 2.3 GHz and NVidia GEForce GT640M, for US$1,200. I just ordered one this week, and if anyone is interested will review how it goes as an editing platform for field use.

http://www.vizio.com/notebook/overview

• @CRFilms what is the price of the Digital Bolex? How would you know it, its not stated anywhere yet. And they are talking for a cam supposedly to be affordable(to who?; ). Since there is one RAW camera for about 3k$ and this one here, even a cheaper RAW possibility maybe it would be in between. Anyway in the next few years RAW and its workflow would become more and more affordable that's for sure : )

• Anyway in the next few years RAW and its workflow would become more and more affordable that's for sure : )

I predict that raw and similar cameras will be very affordable. Up to $200 per camera (I mean as this one).

• @luxis The cheapest version of the Digital Bolex was the kickstarter "pre-order" pledge of $2500. That's probably as cheap as it will get for a while, assuming the Bolex delivers what it promises. So for less than $2500 you can get one of these Flea3 cams plus a proper laptop to capture.

Anybody with $2k burning a hole in their pockets, or $1k with a proper USB 3 Laptop, want to order one and see how it looks? ^_^

• @Vitaliy yep! ;)

@CRFilms Thanks for the info. I didn't know/follow their whole saga on kickstarter. what i like about them is that they are talking about using all kinds of lenses. starting with C-mount,(later m43) I do have a few of these and they are from the times the original Bolex was around and hip : ) I would like to try these "fleas" but I just have the holes in my pockets lately ; )

• I wonder if a Raspberry Pi, SSD and a small monitor would work?

• I wonder if a Raspberry Pi, SSD and a small monitor would work?

LOL. No. Raspberru Pi is just crap. All all the ultra small computers now (best ones are based on A10 LSI).

You need good Intel CPU. Four cores preferable.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev What about having some "less-powered" solution which would be dedicated only for transferring the data from USB3.0 to SSD (RAID0 HD??)? However, the greatest problem is that you really need a relatively powerful PC for showing the on-line picture on LCD screen (data from USB3.0 should be converted into the picture in real time). If only they would provide HDMI or similar video output. It would make it simpler.

Nobody commented on lenses. What are the choices and what are the prices?!? I suppose that noise would be distinctly higher than with GH2?

Otherwise, the following solutions are also interesting: http://optomotive.com/

They are offering camelopard and velociraptor. The last one: CMOSIS CMV4000, 1” CMOS colour, monochrome or NIR sensor, 2048 × 2048 pixels, 5.5 μm pixel size, 180 FPS at JPEG video acquisition.

may take 180 FPS at 2k. Impressive! As far as I know the price is about 3000 EUR. I suppose that camelopard is much cheaper.

• Sorry, I meant the following one:

CMOSIS CMV2000, 2/3” CMOS colour, monochrome or NIR sensor, 2048 × 1088 pixels, 5.5 μm pixel size, 340 FPS at JPEG video acquisition,

which exports 340 jpeg pictures per second through gigabit ethernet. THIS is interesting. Adding that it has electronic global shutter makes it even nicer...

• @crunchy I like their serious question :

"Want to catch an U.F.O.?" :)

@disneytoy @Vitaliy that's funny, I just woke up with the idea of similar solution thinking I just invented the hot water or at least the bicycle : ) Of course the raspberry would not cut it. But i think intel is already making a micro bare-bones system, I would think a similar solution is not that far off. of course not for peanuts but should be less then having a good laptop. It will be also a lot nicer and easier to carry around then a box attached to a laptop and it could truly be a DIY RAW modular system.

• I see now the first is in color, with a Sony sensor. That's the way to go.

• What about running it with a mini PC as an option. Zotec has a small 5"-5"-1.78" system - ZOTAC ZBOX Giga ID70 Plus mini-PC powered by an Intel® Core i3 processor and NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 430 graphics processor. http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=75&Itemid=100167&lang=en