Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tripod head that can handle both a dslr and a red one
  • Hi! I'm wondering if there exists an affordable fluid head that can handle the weight of a red one while still being able to properly balance a fairly lightweight dlsr rig (GH2 with rails and monitor). I know there are heads in the $3000+ price range that can do this, but that would blow my budget. I'm prepared to pay around $1500.

Thanks! Magnus

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • What lenses are you using with your GH2? How does the rail system look? My Satchtler works great with my GH2 and flawlessly when I've thrown on an Epic and with some rigging the RED ONE too. However, my GH2 is HEAVY. I have heavy cine-primes on it, rods, mattebox, cage, monitor+Ninja and follow focus, clocking in at around 10 lbs. But when I have just the camera, the tripod can't balance it anymore. Alseo, do you own a RED ONE yourself? Because when renting you almost always get a tripod in the price, or they tend to be rather cheap. A tripod that could go up lighter Epic territory is easier, but the RED ONE is heavy.

• The Cartoni HD could do the trick. It will be my next purchase. It holds up to 26lbs. I'm checking it out tomorrow. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687140-REG/Cartoni_F125_Focus_HD_Video_Tripod.html

• @Gabel: The heaviest lens I'll use is the Samyang 35 f1.4. My rail system doesn't have a mattebox, but includes a monitor, a cage and a follow focus (+ optional handles and shoulder support), which will probably make the rig heavy enough for some of the bigger fluid heads, but I would also like to be able to go more stripped down if the situation calls for it. I have been offered to borrow a Red One (without a tripod) for free and pretty much whenever I want, while still keeping the GH2 as my primary camera. That's why I would like my tripod to cater for both. I found a used Sacthler 14ii on ebay, but it's counterweight system seems to require a bit more weight than I believe my GH2 rig can provide.

@rockroadpix: The Cartoni HD looks promising! Please update us with your findings :) I'll see if I can get a look at it myself soon.

• I use a Cartoni Focus head, and I used to own a Fully loaded RED ONE. It works great one my GH2 as well. The head is about 6 years old now, and still working great.

• Thank you very much, guys! I've read up on the head and feel quite confident in buying it now :)

• I've had my hands on many tripods thanks to some time at a rental house, and here are my thoughts:

Rule Number One: Manfrotto sucks . . . Manfrotto REALLY sucks. They don't hold up. Save your money and get something else.

That being said, there are other options. Cartoni makes an excellent no-frills fluid head with good sticks, what Manfrotto ought to be like.

In my experience, there's nothing quite like a Sachtler. They make professional heads that are very high quality. (Disclaimer, I've not tried their lower end stuff like the new ACE, so I cannot speak to the quality of said units.)

Hope this helps. I for one am looking at getting the Vari-Zoom ZeroGravity. It is a very different head, but I want to be able to have the pan/tilt axis centered on the sensor of my camera.

• I have a sachtler DV1 and I need a little more heft for when I have my slider rig on it or when I use a larger cam. The DV1 is great for HDSLRs.

• We recently got a weifeng 9993, the head seems really good although it has not yet been put trough it's paces enough for a final verdict. I will personally make a dead-weight for it to balance out a gh2 rig - as it is too stiff out of the box.

• Well, with your rig you would probably be able to have a rig using both, like the Cartoni suggested, but I'd try and see if you can find a used Sachtler. My Panorama 3+3 works with both a RED ONE and my rather heavy GH2 rig and yours ought to be OK for that. For stripped down I'd instead suggesting getting a cheaper E-Image head. Good quality (I use their legs) and rather cheap, as you need very little weight limit as then you don't need to compromise as much.