Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fast portrait lens with autofocus for m43
  • Hi guys, I've been searching for clues in the Lens topics but couldn't find any, and it seem to be a bit mixed subject, so if a corresponding topic exist, please excuse me and please point me to it. I want to buy a DSLR style camera for stills and videos, mostly for family pictures, vacation / documentary purposes. I have narrowed it down to Canons’ 650D and GH2. Both seem to have AF capabilities in video, both of them will do fine for stills. Regarding the lens I was thinking of a zoom lens (18-135mm on 650D, or 14-140mm on GH2) and a fast, portrait, autofocus prime: 50mm F1.8 for Canon, and when searching for a lens for GH2 I couldn’t find anything other than Olympus 45mm F1.8, which costs 300$ more than a Canon 50mm. I know that there are nice old FD lens, but they lack an autofocus, which seems to make a life much easier. Am I missing a lens here? Am I over evaluating the importance of autofocus on a portrait prime lens? General thoughts about the two cameras for the purpose are welcome. Thanks.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Canon lens cost $36?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100-OLYMPUS-M-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-ED-45mm-F1-8-PEN-Lens-MicroSingle-Genuine-/190684769798

Plus 45mm Olympus is real gem, fast, sharp as hell, very light and really silent.

• Probably missed that one :), I was looking at B&H price versions (399$ vs 109$), correction: 227$. I guess one could search for a used lens (mostly Canons') for a lower price, but since the Olympus lens is rather new, it could be hard to find a used one.

• @mkholod

Again, you are comparing different lenses, entry level cheap 50mm lens to real small gem. And this are lenses for completely different systems.

• Yeah, for manual focus GH2 is just heaven, there is a vast assortment of great manual lenses, but it seems there are not many native AF lenses for m43 to choose from, and it could be a deal breaker if you want a fast run and gun shot (or am I wrong? MF is just fine?)

• That's the problem, I couldn't find an entry level portrait lens for m43. But maybe it's worth the 227$ price difference.

• Can you please determinate first what do you want? m43 has enough good AF lenses, including primes.

• Yep, prime, portrait (around 50mm), fast (around F1.8), auto focus, m43 lens.

• In this case get Olympus. Go to it's dedicated topic and check that all owners love this lens. As for Canon, look at least for 50mm F1.4 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Standard-Medium-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00009XVCZ

• Thanks, I'll contemplate on that, I'm sure I'll love one of them, but just to be sure, there is no "entry level" of that kind (prime ~F1.8, ~50mm, AF) for m43?

• @mkholod

45mm is extremely affordable, and as I said you don't need anything else.

None of Canon lenses (except two STM ones) are made for fast, silend and video oriented AF.

• Great, thanks again!

• I needed to buy my main lens for interviews and pieces-to-camera which will occupy 75% of a doco.

I Really wanted some Samsung glass. I mean, I was trying to convince myself that a Samsung 85mm or smaller would do what I need - clean image, nice bokeh - and that somehow I was going to be able to handle manual focus as well.

Today I bought an Olympus Zuiko 45mm. All those reviews couldn't be wrong.