Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which Angenieux lens is this on the pictures? and which mount?
  • Hi all, I need your help... I'm trying to determine which Angenieux lens is this and what are it's specs? Most importantly, which mount type is this??? and how can I mount this on a GH13 m4/3 mount? All that I know is that this lens was once attached to a vintage 16mm Arriflex.

And how much do you think I should pay for this lens?

Any advice and suggestions much appreciated!imageimageimageimage

Angenieux_1.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 146K
    Angenieux_2.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 138K
    Angenieux_3.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 136K
    Angenieux_4.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 127K
  • 22 Replies sorted by
  • Not sure, could be cameflex.

• looks like an arriflex std mount, probably used with an old arriflex s16. i think i have the same one, payed 120 euros for it last year, works great on old arriflex cameras, tried it once on my gh2 has a lot of vingetting and for me seemed only useable in ex tele mode, does give a very nice image. STD Arriflex to Micro 4/3 m43 adapters are easily found on ebay. there is also a c-mount version of this lens

• Thanks @MRijsemus , Yes, the guy said that it was previously on an old 16mm Arriflex. Do you know what's the zoom range of these? from the writings on the lens it's not clear. Is it 10-150mm ? and what's the F?

I would ultimately love to get an Angenux 12-240mm if I can find it for 200-300 Euros somewhere, but if the guy gives me a good price I might settle for this one for now.

I never used Ex Tele mode. Does that result in loss of resolution?

• So of the old Angies are amazing but some have a yellowy image -- esp the "Paris Angenieux". Try and get a 35mm otherwise this is only good with Ext mode -- which won't hurt resolution but gives a lot of grain and restricts FOV. .

• I know all this Angenieux fleur. But. Get proper modern zoom instead.

• know all this Angenieux fleur. But. Get proper modern zoom instead.

It's probably true. Here's a pic of my GH2 with a 35mm Angie, It's gorgeous, but this lens isn't cheap and it weighs as much as a car. New, in the 70's, this lens cost 12k USD.

ang.jpg
    800 x 600 - 119K
  • arriflex std mount

• it seems to be 15x10B that would translate to 10mm-150mm and it would probably be f2.0

• @brianluce thanks. But your image didn't load properly, so its not visible. Please reload it. You said that "Angenieux Paris" give a yellowy image - do you know if these lenses have thorium in them?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev May I ask what exactly do you mean by "Angenieux fleur"? Please elaborate. Also, which other modern zoom lens can give me a 15x or even 20x (or even more) optical zoom (while maintaining a relatively low F) and without breaking the bank? I'd love to know.

@andres and @disneytoy thanks for a succinct and precise answer to my original questions. Exactly what I was looking for.

• @kronstadt ask yourself this: how much need do you have for an extreme zoom lens? If you go forward and backwards instead of standing in one place?

Do you want to do zooms for effect?

Do you have anywhere near you where you can rent a cine-zoom? Maybe it makes better sense to rent a cine zoom (which covers the whole frame) for the odd occasion when you want zoom action for effect? Or budget for it if you plan on making a whole movie and want to replace a set of lenses with one zoom.

The problem with zooms in general is that people get lazy. Sometimes when I borrow my camera to someone (doesn't matter if they have photography experience or not) they keep going: where's the zoom? When all they really want to do is re-compose.

That said, If you get a good price for quality optics (and can afford to invest) it does makes sense to get it anyway. Inevitably there will be cameras where you can make good use out of the optics.

• @RRRR answering your questions: Yes, I do need an extreme zoom lens precisely for the long zoom effect in a single shot. I have several such scenes where such effect is in use. What's the alternative to that? Setting a 1-2km dolly track? Personally, I stay away from zooms (I have the stock 14-42mm and never used it for film) and I much prefer the lively look of my 28mm, 50mm and 135mm primes (hopefully soon I'll have something wider) - so for me it's definitely not about being lazy. Yes, I do want to do zoom for effect - I know, I know, it's the first lesson they teach you at film school "Never ever use the zoom function", but it's my artistic choice. Imagine a scene where the guy is alone in a VAST desert - how do you emphacize the vastness of that desert and the hopelessness of the situation? Slow zoom out with a 15X or 20X zoom lens. Check this out:

I don't have anywhere locally to rent these. I found a place that could rent it by post, but the prices were such that for a rent of 2-3 days, I could actually buy one of 12-240mm.

@brianluce how much did you pay for your 35mm Angeneiux 12-240mm ? (I thought those lenses were made only for 16mm). And where did you manage to pick it up? Does it too vignette at wide ranges?

• If you have want such effect, may be it'll be just not convinient to get or rent small sensor camcorder?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev why do that if GH2 has Ex Tele mode? In effect, a 12-240mm lens would become 48-960mm, and 10-150mm would become 40-600mm. (I don't have GH2 yet, but on my GH13 I could use Digital Zoom mode for pre-production test shots until I get a GH2). To make things even more dramatic I could add an LA7200 or some other anamorphic extension, but I don't know what the width of these Angeneiux lenses is. (that would probably be very costly, but a bit of wishful thinking doesn't hurt)

• why do that if GH2 has Ex Tele mode?

As I said, out of convinience. EX mode is quite noisy beast. If you are using it with long unstabilized lens you need very good platform to shoot from.

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev , that's why to avoid using the ExTele, I'd rather see if I can find these Angeniex lenses for 35mm - that'll definitely cover the GH13 sensor even at 12mm.

Why? which smaller sensor cameras for rent did you have in mind?

And , no, the lens will be very stabilised (I'd be crazy to have it handheld or on flycam or on a crane whn shooting in ranges beyond 50mm or 85mm)

• which smaller sensor cameras for rent did you have in mind?

From consumer ones - latest Sony with gyro stabilization or Panasonic V700 (in active mode).

As for pro cameras, you need to ask people who used them.

• @kronstadt It's not mine, it's my friends. No vignette and tack sharp beautiful image. He got it 4 years ago for around $500 and had the whole thing taken apart and serviced. It's parafocal and I think T3.5 but it's as bright as all of my f2.8's. I'm sure it would be hard to find something like it now at that price but who knows? Only drawback it's so massive and heavy. New, in the 70's, it cost $12,000.

• @kronstadt Ok I see what you mean.. Anyhow it might be worth considering Vitaliy's suggestion too. My sd90 doesn't make the prettiest images in the world but the zoom is incredible as is the stabilization. If you can somehow manage to find a 35mm lens that is obviously desirable. A potential benefit for the future (if you go ahead and get a lens for 16mm cameras would be if you have plans for acquiring the BM raw camera. With that you might be able to shoot without it "out of the box" (though, with pl adapter)/ with no further crop.

• @RRRR

With that you might be able to shoot without it "out of the box" (though, with pl adapter)/ with no further crop.

What do you mean?

@brianluce A-ha, so the 35mm of the 12-240mm does in fact exist. (I read somewhere that they were only made for 16mm) Could you please measure the front element diameter of your 12-240mm? I know it's pretty huge, but I'm thinking if it would be possible to mount an anamorphic adaptor on it. LA7200 or something like that, and still be able to get an image that fits into the frame. Crazy setup - definitely pushing the boundaries of what's possible. Definitely, not your everyday run&gun setup.

I think I'll forget about this particular 10-150mm lens, and save up for a decent 35mm Angie 12-240mm.

• @kronstadt

Could you please measure the front element diameter of your 12-240mm?

it's not my lens actually. Belongs to a friend. He lives out of town.

• @kronstadt sorry, I was pretty tired when I wrote that. What I meant was that you might be able to shoot without further crop if you plan to get a bmd camera (or other smaller sensor camera) in the future. I guess a ~3x crop would be enough to avoid vignetting.

In that case the 16mm lens would make sense as a future investment. Not just for gh2 tele crop mode which is - although usable, not always ideal.

• Assuming that the lens pictured above is of Arriflx Std mount, could someone please post eBay links to Arriflex Std mount to m4/3 adapter ? Thanks.