Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Broken Memory Card.
  • UPDATE: Won't be sending it for repairs, just need to buy a new memory card.

Okay, looks like no more tests for a while because today I ran into a very frustrating problem. I went to my father's house to help repair his computer and was trying to make sure the internal card reader driver had installed properly. However, it turned out the card reader was physically damaged. This became apparent after multiple attempts to debug the reader failed.

Unfortunately, 2 things happened. 1) It broke one of my SD cards before I realized that and 2) I made the mistake of trying the "internet solution" of using clear tape to try and cover the hole on the side of the card (where the tab usually goes).

As a result, the tape and card got stuck in the GH2 and I have been unable to remove it, even with tweezers. I'm stopping before I make things worse but here are my questions (and I hope they are not poorly received).

1) What's the best solution? Sending it back to Panasonic? And if so, does anybody have experience with that?

2) If there's anybody that's gotten a lot out of the tests from the last couple months and would like to chip in for the repairs, please message me. I do not want to take money away from supporting PTool development so do not offer if you are tight on funds.

Anyway, that's my story. Lesson learned - no more trying to fix physical things on my part (though ironically, I completely succeeded in every other aspect of fixing my dad's dead computer).

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias This may help, I read this possible fix on DVX user.
    Cut a rectangular piece of firm plastic, like from the packaging electronics come in...the clear stuff, to the same size (maybe a little narrower) as an SD card. Then you gently slide it in along the stuck card. This helps to release the card. It was found that most of the time the security tab on the card was the sticking point. Try both sides....

• That... did not quite work.

But manhandling the memory card with tweezers until my palm was bruised eventually got it out. Phew Now I just need to buy a new memory card to replace the demolished one.

• I was just going to suggest give LPowell a Pm, I remember he has a similar problem some time ago.

• @rambo Thanks, I appreciate both you and @rigs responding so quickly. Buying the card is much less expensive than sending it in for repairs and buying a card on top of that.

Maybe I can start a memory card testing service to subsidize the cost of new cards? This is the 3rd one I have had break on me in the last few months (1 Transcend, 2 SanDisk). At least this one had a valid reason for breaking, instead of suddenly looking up at me out of nowhere and saying "I'm broken". :)

• This is the third thread in 30 days about broken memory cards....how can a spring/latch that I'm sure costs less than 50 cents cause such potentially huge problems?

Anybody remember the old Dodge engines? The ones with freeze plugs? Here's a bright idea....let's put holes in the engine and then cap it with a piece of metal that's different from the engine block in case it freezes, the plug will pop out and save the engine from cracking. But guess what....heat can also cause those things to pop out and you loose all your coolant on a hot day and your engine dies. Guarantee you more plugs popped out from heat than cold. I lost an engine to that.

The GH3 better have a different loading mechanism. In the meantime....be gentle with those cards....GENTLE.

• @CRFilms You get your choice - vulnerable cards but strong readers with SD, or vulnerable readers with strong cards with CF. I've had readers break (but no cards) for CF and I've had cards break (but no readers, exempting the one that was broken when I first encountered it today) for SD.

In any case, there was clearly something very, very wrong with the reader today. A whole new level of damage compared to the earlier issues. Luckily, the card wasn't as expensive as the other two. :)

• There's got to be a new way where the card can stay in without latching or without being reliant on a spring/tab. I posted a thread a week ago where my card also broke. Luckily I was able to get it out and get the debris out of the card slot and it's ok now, but yeah...I'm super gentle now with those things.

• @CRFilms I agree, but given a choice between the two, I would definitely prefer a damaged card over a damaged reader. Only a few cards exceed the cost of a camera repair (not to mention the downtime that goes along with such a repair).

Here's hoping they come up with something better.

• jmb

rigs, you are a God. I used your firm plastic trick and it saved my shoot set for tomorrow. Many thanks

• Did anybody find a long term solution for preventing sd cards stuck in Panasonic G series memory card slots?

After losing two sdhc (16gig and 32gig) I decided I will put small clear tape pieces on all of my cards to prevent breaking them? It works fine for now but I didn't test it in the long term. I'm affraid if after a while the tape will make the card stuck and the other thing is if the card will overheat because of the tape? Does anybody using this method? I love my GH3 and never had any other problem but this issue is a deal breaker for me. As a wedding videographer my nightmare is if a full card stuck in just before the "YES" and I can't put in a new one...