Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Why no-one dumped GH5 firmware?
  • Like many of you, big fan of Panasonic's GH camera line, going as far back as GH2 (hence how I created my username).

However it has bewildered me that no-one worked on the GH5 like how work was done on the GH1 and GH2 i.e. dumping the firmware to reverse engineer it for tweaks and patches.

I know the GH5 is pretty damn good out-of-the-box but myself and many others here would agree there was always room for improvement. I've always been hopeful but manjy years has passed and still I can't figure out why.

May I ask anyone here to elaborate or share their thoughts on this?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • After the GH2 hacking disaster the level of encryption on firmware was increased.

• Can you possibly elaborate how the GH2 hacing was a disaster?

And in what way was the encryption on firmware was increased?

• @GH2_fan

A disaster for Panasonic management.

No.

• Really?

What were the outcomes of this for Panasonic management??

From my experience this really helped boost the popularity of the GH2, and I as a user was encouraging others to look into it!

I understand :(

• Dear Gh2 fan.

Thanks to gh1 the gh2 was born, then Gh3 was born after, and gh4 then gh5 now the gh6 and most probably a last gh7 as a final goodbye to m4/3 support from panny, but I doubt it.

What is the moral of the story?

Many baby’s can be born from a single gh camera.

And what’s the moral of that ?

It’s something to think about and reflect metaphysicaly. Go beyond and maybe you can be the chosen one to unlock the power of gh5 encryption problem. Maybe it’s not just a hack maybe there are more parts of it and for it.

You must go alone we shall wait for your return. Go Padawan !

Remember!!! the hack is in you! Lol

• @GH2_fan

With some effort GH3 could be possible. I have almost full dump, as I told. But it turned out to be too much work with too little probability to make something significant and useful.

As for later models - doing dumps is wrong way. Instead we need to change society to have collective open source work on such complex things.