Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Help me save my corrupt 32gb sandisk Challenge!
  • Right, my fairly new 32gb 45mb/s sandisk that has been working fine seems to be really fucked up. If any genius or pc wizard can think of sth clever , give it a shot!

FACTS:

-I can't cut/copy/delete any files from the card (even though i managed at one point to copy the footage from a mac, so I don't care about recovering data, formatting on a mac failed too)

-the drive has become incredibly slow and freezes any time you click or right click any file within "STREAM" location

-there are some garbage files created in my stream location made up of symbols and shit

-I scanned the card and my whole computer with avg antivirus and malwarebytes: found nothing

• trying to format from camera gives error and can't complete

-formatting from my computer cannot complete

-formatting from disk management cannot complete or freezes

-downloaded "SDFormatter" as well as "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool", both of which when I run (and I've tried all format options) give error "media device is write-protected" so I double check the little switch on the side of my sdhc card and I made sure it was upwards(meaning it's not write-protected)

So my next step was to run "regedit" and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
       I then opened "WriteProtect" and entered 0 value instead of 1, pressed ok. Result: same shit.

-also tried "Apacer Formatting Utility" with special .bat file . Result: negative

-then I tried command prompt CHKDSK H: /F result: negative

-then I rebooted in safe mode with command prompt only, I accessed my card and ran "Format H:" and I got error "format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process " so I tried dismounting the drive too but that did nothing either

what do u think?anything I can do?

I bought this card from amazon uk but right now i'm in greece on holiday and will be here for the next month and need to shoot stuff, so I can't try and send it back. and there are no video sdhc sandisk cards in stock in greece, and if they are, they cost about 300 euro :)))

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • and the software RescuePRO that comes with the sandisk eXtreme cards?

• Are you using the same SD card reader when you tried this on different machines?

• "and the software RescuePRO that comes with the sandisk eXtreme cards?" I'm pretty sure I didn't get a cd, and if I did I don't have access to it till next month, but cheers for the tip, i'll if I can torrent it or sth.

"Are you using the same SD card reader when you tried this on different machines?"

I've tried on 2 windows machines with the same sd reader, but on the mac i used it's built in port. do u think it's possible that the reader can fuck your card up so badly and corrupt it?

• Sorry, I don't understand - why are you trying to save a card that has failed on you? I would understand that you're trying to recover the data, but that you've already done. I would never use such card again.

BTW: reader can corrupt the cards, but they should be recoverable, until there is something physically wrong with the chips in card

• "why are you trying to save a card that has failed on you?" a)because it cost me 72$ b) because I won't know if I can even send it back till next month when I return c) because where I am right now during april I have no easy access to sandisk cards at even remotely reasonable prices and would like to shoot a short before I leave.

• Try different reader.
    After this be sure to throw it into a dump. And get any other card. I mean it.

• just ordered 3 new 8gb 30mb/s cards to keep me going, hopefully should arrive soon. Also just sent an email to sandisk support, we'll see what happens, I should be covered right?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev "Try different reader" - I'll go buy one tomorrow and try

"After this be sure to throw it into a dump. "

Do you mean to throw the card reader away or both that and the card?

"And get any other card"

do u mean that I've just got a bad card (even though it's been working flawlessly for 2 months so can't be fake)and should get rid of it, or that I should try to not get the 45mb/s ones ?

cheers

• @stefanos

I mean throw out the card. You can use it for some home backup purposes (but if you have copy in other place). but never at work.

About other card, I mean any other card, b eit same model or not.