Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Mounting "Rods "
  • Looks interesting. Now that the Nikons have clean HDMI out, and will more than likely start a trend, some people will be wanting to use external recorders with their DSLR's. This is a good potentially inexpensive mounting solution.

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • I do not see anything interesting here.

• There is nothing else like it so far. I'll more than likely get 2 or 3.

• @Brian202020

I don't see why you need it.

Individual small clamps that attach to rods exist for long time and they are cheap.

If you need to attach something larger it is just clamp and cheese plate.

All exist for long and are much more useful.

• Good point, but I've used several small clamps and I have yet to see one hold a decent amount of weight. They always seem to rotate on my rods regardless of how tight I tighten the clamp. Also I would think it would be a single rod lighter more low profile solution than a cheese plate. It might not be for everyone, but for me this might just be the solution I'm looking for.

• They always seem to rotate on my rods regardless of how tight I tighten the clamp.

Are you attaching few kg to them? :-)

Any clamp mountable to two rods is rock solid.

If you have problems with single clamps, use fixing fluids, or some clue.
    This frequently happens on bad cheap carbon rods especially (that have very smooth surface).

• Clamps that go across two rods are solid, but you don't always have two rods to go across, also there is usually only one or two mounting holes.

I'm debating on using a next generation Nikon DSLR for my main camera and replacing my AF100. I'm struggling with a good mounting solution for my Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. This could be the answer.

• It could be useful in just the right spot, but I think that more often it would be frustrating and get in the way of wanting to slide things forward or back.

• it would be a better solution to ad some base plate with lot of 1/4" threads that have rod clamp ... the plate could be wide and tall ...

• I fail to see how having more options without actually adding another piece is a bad thing. If you have a rod already that isn't really doing much, this is a great solution. It all depends on the price point. Also there are substances that can be applied to the metal to make it less prone to twist.

• Even single clamps can be attached very tightly so they don't slip, unless you have very poorly made or even defective clamps, I don't say cheap because I've bought plenty of cheap clamps off ebay with good results. I actually have a small piece of metal pipe which I use the attach my rods very very tighly. Using the pipe as a folcrum on the clamp thumb screws it may be overkill but that's the way I like things on my rig.

Also, it seems that having the ability to mount a clamp in almost any position, while this rod only has the screw holes in the middle would be less convenient. I am sure this product will find a market with some users, but it doesn't look like a revolution. And why are his rods so short in the video? Have you ever held a rig on 18inch rods, plenty of space and still ok for shoulder use.

• @yachacha, his rod does have male and female threaded ends for making them longer. I think it's a pretty good idea for yet another option to attach things. I thought the idea of having it in the upright handle rod or as a 90 degree rod across the top config was very interesting.