Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Going from 24fps to 25fps in Quicktime without converting
  • Since 25fps/50i hacks seem to be more limited than 24p hacks, i a, looking for a way to modify a 24p Quicktime (let´s say a Quicktime movie of the finished and colorgraded edit) to play at 25 fps.

Not to convert the file, just "telling" it to play at 25fps. (Guess it is not easy with h.264, but other codecs like ProRes?) This would be the same procedure like it is done done with film in PAL-countries for ages, they are simply speed up by 4% to fit into 25fps/50i. Sound is another issue, gues this must be handled on his own.

I am on a Mac, ist there anything available? All the best, Frame

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • What NLE?

• Yes, there is Cinema Tools, coming with FCP (up to v. 7).

• I've also gone this route with 1080 material due to the difference in quality between 24 and 25. I just speed up the clips in Sony Vegas Pro? Simply copy the clip attributes and apply to all clps on the time line. The resultant 25p footage visually is indistinguishable from the original, just slightly shorter in length.

• @Frame

"qtChange" can alter the playback rate of QT movies ... so your native 24p can be altered to playback at 25p (movie runs 4% faster). Audio should be treated seperately (as you already mentioned) ... it has to be stretched down to 95.904% speed (if you are extremely nitpicking you can also pitch up the audio ... unfortunately I don't have the respective values at hand).

qtChange is also great to add reel names (tape names), timecode ... and other settings. It's a great little helper I use for every project (prior to editing, though):

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

• Thanks for the help! About Cinema tools: As far asI recall it will keep TC at 24fps for editing film at Pal standard for later negative editing. But i doesnot speed up. If there is also freeware around as an alternative to qChange, any info would be appreciated. I am on FCP7. All he best, Frame

• Yes, it does. Cancel the project settings, just open the clip and tell it to "Conform" to 25 fps.

• Thanks Nomad! Confirmed, clips are conformed to 25fps with one cklick.48kHz Audio is sped up to a samplinng frequency of 50.050kHz to be in sync.

• Which means the audio is pitch shifted. If you are really picky about sound, time-stretch (or rather time-squeeze) it in a good audio program.

• I know...