Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tonalizer Pro from Iridus
  • http://irudis.com/

Not affiliated in any way but I just had to post regarding this astounding plugin for FCPX and Motion 5. It also works with FCP 7 and Express and Motion 4.

One of the tell tale signs of most DSLR footage and especially the GH2 is the lack of latitude. Shadows tend to go dark and hi-lights are usually blown out. Obviously you can shoot around this but, on a sunny day some times you don't have much choice. What Tonalizer Pro does is allow you to salvage hi-lights and boost shadows to get a more film like look. It really is amazing what it can do. Take a look at some frame grabs from some footage I shot with one of Driftwoods hacks last year. The hi-light recovery is worth the price alone in my opinion. But it really has about everything you need to truly get the most out of footage. Of course pulling detail from shadow will expose grain and noise but there are handy check boxes to allow for noise reduction and aliasing. Still the GH2 hack is getting very good at reducing noise in the shadows so I'm more confident in lifting them now.

Have a look at the images as they tell the story better than I can. I haven't been this impressed with a plugin for a long time. If you try Tonalizer Lite, I got a 35% discount which made it a more reasonable price. It is expensive but 35% off ain't bad.

all the best

rich

driftwood-02-orig.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 576K
    driftwood-02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 523K
    driftwood-02b-orig.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 396K
    driftwood-02b.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 401K
    driftwood-02c-orig.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 612K
    driftwood-02c.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 649K
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • It's nothing that can't be done in post already, perhaps it makes it easier.

Once highlights are gone, they are gone, no information, nothing, nada. If there's detail there then any plugin/software can work with it.

• @itimjim you are right but the implementation is very good. And it's all in one spot without having to use multiple effects. And I was surprised how much info it could grab from the hilights, even ones I thought weren't there.