Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
55mm f/1.7 Chinon M42
  • I paid 46 euros (including postage) for a Chinon 55mm f/1.7 M42. For the price, I think it's quite nice. :) A quick test I made:

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Wow! Look at that Bokeh. Nice video, I really like to song as well.

• Very nice. What 's the music? If you have an old Olympus OM 50mm 1.8, i'd be interested in a comparison. It has comparable bokeh.

• I paid about 35 euros for an old Chinon camera that had one attached. Nice solid lens but the M42 Pentax's I have are a bit sharper in my opinion (but I paid more money for those).

• Is this wide open? Very little breathing :) If this is sharper @1.7 then my FD 50 1.4 @ 2.0 then I'm getting one.

• I recently buy an Auto Reflecta 55mm f/1.7 which is very similar. After a quick search, it seems that they were both produced by Chinon in the 70's (the Reflecta was a special version but same build). Paid mine 75 euros but with the M42 adapter. Smooth aperture, very sharp (especially from f/2.8)

• Just received mine from ebay. For the price it's ok, but my FD 50 1.4 is far better. The Chinon has plenty coma wide open and the edges get soft. But it has character with cool bokeh and sharp enough center.

• oscillan: Sorry for the loooooong wait for the reply... It's wide open. The lens isn't very sharp, unfortunately.

• It looks like this lens is more common than I expected, I've got it too :-)