Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Moire Focusing - Gh2, possibly other cameras
  • So far, I'm just playing with video on my GH2, but I've found something curious while trying to learn to pull focus; the touchscreen seems to show moire whenever sharp details are in focus. On my screen, I see a sort of rainbow pattern where in-focus highlights should be. So far, this actually seems to be a reliable indicator of what's in focus. With catch-lights in eyes, along with numerous still scenes, I've reliably found that whatever was ringed with moire was perfectly in focus when examined after the fact...

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I've never read where others say the same but I agree....it does help with focusing.

• Yep, i look for it as an indicator all the time, especially hair, patterns or series of lines. It's similar to the old Viewfinders on early SLR cameras.

• I also def. agree. There´s a post from Stu Maschwitz on prolost.com where he describes the same thing for 5D MII and III: Low res aliasing shows up where things are in focus. On the GH1&2 however I can only go that "route" on the EVF. I can´t see sh** on the LCD.

• That gave me an idea: what if the camera could assist manual focus by showing a number or meter with the calculated contrast - the same one calculated for auto focus?

• Well the idea sounds really good. So... VK?

• Good to know I'm not crazy; I thought this was a useful technique, and was quite surprised I couldn't find any mention of it.

@JackBayer - I've been filming mostly black and white so far; on the LCD the rainbows just fly off the screen. I actually find the effect with the EVF much less pronounced, as the moire stays black and white.

In b&w, with the lcd, there's really no need for a numerical indicator; I just turn the focus ring till the object in question is ready for a pride parade. It'd be really cool if we could monitor in b&w while actually filming in color, but I'd imagine this is beyond the constraints of the hack...