Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Horizontal and vertical lines on GH2 footage - problem
  • I have a problem with new GH2 (model WE1G) - fixed horizontal lines while tilting and vertical lines while panning. I am aware of famous banding issue but this is not it. I am also aware of gradient banding, also not a problem. As you can see on my footage (GH2 WE1G, CANON nFD 1.4@2.8, HBR25p, ISO 160, 1/50, ORION DRIFTWOOD av.95Mbps, LED 5600) when I start tilting on one-color surface (white wall for example), these dark horizontal lines appear. It is easier to spot it when out of focus. Also, not so pronounced, but when I start panning you can see vertical lines (specially at the and of clip on out of focus table footage). I tried every possible setting combination (f-stop, iso, shutter speed, film modes, other patches (sanity, flowmotion, quantum x2...), lights (yes, it is visible at daytime on the sky), other lenses (canon fd 24, 35-105 and panasonic 14-42). To make a long story short, in every situation when filming uniform mid and high tones without special detail (walls, sky and similar) these lines appear - it almost feels like dirty lens but I checked that too. Maybe they even exist in more detailed footage too (like trees, stones, water...) but because of too much detail I cant see it. This is a serious problem for me. In a short period I am about to shoot a commercial and I planned to use the gh2 as main camera (instead of mark II, and because of all those great footage I see from other gh2 owners), but now I am not sure. Did someone else have same problem? Any advice?

p.s. yes that ballantine's glass is empty but I'm not seeing things. Yet :)