Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
A source for cheap test charts
  • Has anyone purchased from digitalimageflow on ebay? I was thinking of purchasing this color chart/grey card. I know that quality matters a fair amount for these charts, but the feedback left for them sounds positive, though who knows what kind of people are leaving it. If anyone has a good source for cheap color charts or white/grey cards, I'd appreciate it as I'm looking to buy a few this week (shooting without them is a pain, especially for color correction).

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • In the description it says: "On the front there are 18 offset printed reference color targets". I doubt it will make much difference for the greyscale, but for the colors normally you have different materials for each color and this does make a difference. I guess you will get the pretty much same results if you print the jpeg from the auction on a calibrated printer yourself. ;)

I would better take something with a known name on it, used you can get them quite cheap as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macbeth-Colorchecker-Color-Rendition-Chart-Test-Pattern-True-Color-Balance-/270890518261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f125546f5

• I'm kind of cynical re: the whole accuracy thing of various color charts. Several years ago when I was working as a camera assistant on a big feature, the DP during camera prep decided to play a prank on the colorists at the lab. We shot camera tests with a standard Macbeth color chart and also with a $5 color photocopy of a jpg of a similar chart from a website. The DP asked the colorist (who is very very good btw and has been working for 20+yrs on many Hollywood features) to tell him which one was the authentic color chart. The colorist, knowing he was being tested eventually came back with "neither of them - they're both genuine". Needless to say, he was pretty surprised when he found out one of them was a low grade photo copy.

We ended up mounting the photocopy on a piece of card and used it many times over the next couple of years and the DPs had no idea it wasn't a genuine Macbeth chart.

• I just had a brainwave and went to the local hardware store. Searched in the paint department for paint swatches and was especially keen on finding a large size mid grey card to use as a white balancer. All the swatches were free. I then bought a bit of black foam core which was around $2.00.

I then cut each colour out into 35mm squares, not accurately and a bit lop sided, and then spray mounted them to the board

This is version one to test out how it works. I reckon it's alright. Tested it in FCPX and it seems to work really well.

colourchart-before.jpg
    857 x 1143 - 210K
    colourchart-final.jpg
    1142 x 857 - 197K
  • @rsquires good idea! (if you have the original chart to refer to).