Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What actually sets Eneloop apart?
  • May be just capacity? Nope.

or maximum output current? Nope.

Eneloop different in how consistent its quality is.
    On how it can hold charge for long time.
    And how much times he can take charge without significant capacity drop.

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • I use a lot of batteries, and a few years a go I bought a bunch of different brands to test them out. They were mostly garbage except for the Eneloops, so I just bought those. I think early on, they focused on quality and consistency. I never ran the test again, so I really have no idea if there are better ones out there, plus I bought so many of them and they are still working.
    I guess I will try some IKEA ones, why not?

• @DrDave

Can send us few different new ones and we can make tests, we have proper equipment in US also.

• I have a bunch of Amazon Basics rechargeables (and a number of Eneloops that I bought before) - for the price, even if the Amazon batteries only last about 1/3 as long as Eneloops, I'll be doing OK.

• A little off-topic: what about Ni-Zn batteries? I've been testing them lately, and I'm quite satified.

• I made some durational sound recordings with black Eneloop pros in my Olympus LS-10. The recorder ran for over 12 hours in -8C and still had at least 20% capacity left. Not too bad. If I could get the same batteries for 1/5th the cost that would be great.

• @davjd ni-zn have slightly higher voltage than alkaline, naturally discharge faster, have a significantly lower number of charging cycles, and for whatever reason don't use mAH as a rating. They're good for devices that need alkaline voltage and have protected circuits for the slightly higher voltage

• Went into London Ikea after seeing this, almost none left of AA 2450mah. Bought 8. Had to charge them up as they were at about 50%. Using them in mouse and keyboard, still 100% after one week. There was another guy looking for same batteries, he’d also seen the videos.

• There was another guy looking for same batteries, he’d also seen the videos.

I wonder how long until a price spike on IKEA AA batteries! :-o :-/ :-(

• Much more pro test of Ikea Ladda (In Russian)

In short - main difference is that IKEA can't be charged with same current as Panasonic.

Recommended current is only 0.1C, Panasonic Pro is 0.6C (if your charger can do it).

Also Panasonic discharge per one year is 15% max, IKEA for less than one year is around 30%.

Note that normal Eneloops only 30% per 5 years.

So, it is not a copy of Eneloops.

• I dont have proper internet access right now but my understanding is eneloop factory was separated from the panasonic eneloop buyout due to Japanese antitrust laws. Apparently this factory is owned by Fujitsu and pops out all sorts of branded LSD cells (including their own). If it's an AA or AAA LSD cell made in Japan it's a former Eneloop cell. The current Made In China Eneloops aren't nearly as good (from evidence provided on the Internet).

• @independent

As far as I see tests it is not true.

Actual capabilities are different, so it is different products.

• The Eneloope PRO has been sold with both 2450 mAh and 2500 mAh markings on the package. I doubt that the battery chemistry has changed that much.

2450 mAh package is dated 03-2014 (BK-3HCCE/4BE)

2500 mAh package is dated 04-2015 (BK-3HCDE/4BE)

They do have the same EAN code but different production codes as given above.

P1010012.jpg
    1000 x 751 - 157K
  • Huge comparison of Eneloop, Ladda, PKCell in Russian (use translator)

In short - LADDA is similar to Chinese Eneloops, but not Japanese. Or, most probably, it has nothing to do with them at all.

https://mysku.ru/blog/europe-stores/71771.html

sa8338.jpg
    763 x 725 - 85K
  • Panasonic BK-3MCCA8BA eneloop AA 2100 Cycle Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8 Pack, $17.14 deal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHKSN5I/

LADDA is really worse, but quite good.

sa13230.jpg
    800 x 497 - 69K
  • Ikea has announced they're going to build a store in my country (NZ), wish they'd hurry up and do it asap, I want to be able to buy Ladda AA batteries locally to power all my wireless with them! As even if you need to replace them more often than with other brands, they're still a really good deal it seems.

• @IronFilm

Better idea is to track Eneloop sales and get them in batches.

• @Ironfilm get the super duper black ones, they work great.