Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PACE InterLok
  • This is protection used in many audio software products.
    And in many other products.
    Even in most trial versions.

Before installing few trial thing on main work PC I made a check on it on the web.
    In fact, this thing install system driver that act similarly to rootkit.
    It intercepts many system functions, trace your activity (yep, to prevent debugging), and even patches few kernel parts.
    Normally it stays at the system even after products uninstall.
  • 17 Replies sorted by
  • It's a nuisance.
  • I HATE PACE. End of story...
  • Used to protect my commercial audio products with InterLok for some time. Quit it for several reasons:
    - expensive
    - pain in the **s for users
    - Pace didn't keep up the pace with system updates

No protection is the way to go!
  • @trez

Can you tell us about your products?
  • My biggest issue with Pace is it's a broken port/dongle waiting to happen!

I had a 1 foot long parallel port dongle chain for autocad/3dsmax / lightwave /etc, etc
    ten years ago

They need to make it button sized and allow passthru on the usb port.

Didn't know about the driver acting like rootkit, that totally sucks...

• To stop breaking it needs to act similar to rootkit.
    Of course, it is not rootkit, strictly speaking.
    As it uses legally signed driver to access internals (as drivers can do it).
    But you can't just remove it. You need some utility to do this.
  • ILok - the devils winky ;p

Waves and Pace - marriage made in heaven (hell) one charges the earth for its products then treats you with almost comedy disdain, then makes you use the other.
  • My dongle grave yard.

Fuck you PACE you put me threw hell.
    P1040079.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 41K
  • My only dongle-protected piece of software was Logic. Thank goodness Apple dumped the donlge for a good-old serial number (and later it even dumped that for the App Store version).

I don’t have to worry about it getting stolen, broken, or having someone break the USB port it was plugged in. (Shudders.)

P.S. I’ve got to hand it to Apple: their dongle was much more beautiful than eMagic’s original blue USB one.
  • The only one I have anymore is my UAD2 card. ;)
  • My fave - chunky!

c-lab notator disk dongle.JPG
    500 x 375 - 31K
  • @bitcrusher The UAD DSP cards are some of the only dongles that have not (in any high profile fashion) been hacked yet.

Various e-Licenser (formerly "Steinberg Key") and iLok (PACE) based products have had their copy protection hacked over the years, as well as most other dongles (including WIBU).

I used to worry a lot about them, but being mainly desktop (as opposed to laptop) based, I usually just think of them as a necessary evil these days.

I use iLok and E-Licenser products (and their earlier variants) and have done so daily for half a decade. Those products include Vienna Suite, Altiverb, Celemony Melodyne, Arturia products, EastWest and Quantum Leap PLAY products, etc. Though some of my friends have had unfortunate trouble (sometimes quite frustratingly so), the copy protection has not been a source of trouble on my systems or for my clients, whether using Intel or PowerPC processes and whether on Windows XP, Windows 7 or OS X.

• @soundgh2

Prehistoric Logic?

@thepalalias UADs are not really a dongle but I like to joke that they are. Its not like you really need DSP running audio plugins now. I am only sticking with it because I like the plugins a lot.

• @bitcrusher I know, but I keep using them for the same reason. :) The Neve 33609 emulation is one of my favorite digital compressors to date.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I developed audio plug-ins for one of the leading plug-in developer - mastering EQs, limiters and some effects, too. I'd rather not to disclose the company name publicly (to support some of their older products they remain Pace licensee, so saying that Pace is PITA could adversely affect their relationship, I'm afraid). Don't get me wrong - Pace, compared to other dongle-based protection system I evaluated, was pretty stable and relatively convenient. However, they didn't keep up the pace :) with ever-changing technology. In particular, they were not prepared for Mac x86_64 (64-bit) platform at all. Also, my opinion is that the best protection is hardly-any-protection. Still, some protection is required, but I like to make it as simple as it gets. It's main purpose IMO is to allow me to distinguish the users who are entitled to receive the support from those who are not. Of course, this requires product registration as well... In contrast to people's belief, my opinion is that simple protection system (easily crackable) allows the (digital) word to be spread quickly over the Internet which ultimately boost the sales - people who can finish the project or two using crack often buy the product that did the job well. Two-weeks demo is often not sufficient to convince them. By the way - thanks for what you provided us, GH2 shooters, with, Vitaliy! I'm VERY impressed (and happy)...