Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which lens for both video/stills?
  • Hi all,

I'm just about to purchase a GH2 and i've been considering a few lenses.

First is the summilux 25mm f1.4 which from what i have read is an outstanding lens for stills but no IS... From what i've read in various posts it also suffers from 'breathing' issues. I have read that this can be fixes buy un-selcting CAF! Is this really the case? Any good examples?

I've also looked at the Oly 45mm f1.8 but no IS and i want to start with a fairly versatile lens video/photo. I will defo purchase this lens in the coming months for portrait exhibition coming in june!

Next is the panny 14 to 140mm which seems to be offering best of both world ie: video/photo but at the cost of SDOF

I'm looking only at m4/3 lenses with AF so no need to mention the wonders of the Voigt f0.95 as i'm well aware of its capabilities and will be one i will get in time! I first need to settle in, in the new format!

My maximum budget is around £1150 for camera + lens

I look forward to hearing our ideas/thoughts
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • get the panny 14-140 and a cheap canon fd 50mm +adapter for shallow dof stuff

my 02
  • Any vintage lens is good enough for both video and stills. At the end of the day, it's the user, not so much the lens that matters.

The Spanish filmmaker who did Musgo shot with only 3 lenses: 2 nikkors and a Vivtar if i am not wrong.

He has gone one up on Robert Rodriguez, and is an inspiration for me
  • - 14-140 (a fader ND for video makes it the perfect walkaround lens)

- Voigtländer 25mm 0,95 for low light and DOF (Sorry, but all the AF lenses suck. Maybe there will be soon better options)

- a good fast "50" for portrait work

• I am for 14-42 PZ.
    Best IS, powerzoom. And extra compact.
    For extra money get GF2 or GF3.
    The more time you'll ahve your camera with you - the more you can shoot.
  • 35-100mm F2.8 would be my choice. It's too big for the smaller cameras though. The GH2 just screams for that lens.
  • I give my vote for Pan 14-140 too. But if you know that you'll be taking a lot of photos or videos in low light conditions or inside, you'll get frustrated pretty soon with the aperture. Otherwise, quality of the lens is great and when I'm travelling, I always take it with me. BTW, you'll get nice DOF with it if you have distance enough and use big mm.

Many people say that "a perfect" companion for 14-140 is panny 20mm 1.7 (no IS). I don't have one, but it's supposingly very good. Not good for manual focusing, but since you are looking for m4/3 AF lenses, you might want to consider that one too - if you're ok with the pancake size.

I go with Vitaly also; I'm considering to get a GF2 with 14-42 X lens + 20mm 1.7 = small combo to carry "always" with me. :)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev are you referring to the new X lense 14 42mm? These are also my list as they are optimized for video. As anyone got any feed back!
  • Hey guys just looked on amazon and the prices have all gone up! Any ideas where to pick up a deal in the UK!
  • I like the idea of the 14-42mm x lens but you cannot attached an ND filter!

• There's no filter thread on the lens?
  • I believe you can screw a filter on. Spec says a 37mm front thread.
  • It actually does and you can attach a filter however you canot mount a a hood. No big deal
  • My favorites out of those mentioned are the 20mm pancake and the Voightlander. The 14-42 X looks to be quite for stills, not just video, but I have not used one.
  • I think i'll go with the 12-42 X lens an gradually build up my lenses collection. Thank you for the tips much appreciate. Can wait to see if there will be any good new year deals planing on getting the SD sandisk 64mb and a couple of batteries the lot comes to just over £1000! I'm so excite and have been for months finally the perving will stop and some proper video and photogrphy work can begin.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev thank you for this wonderful space you have created and thank you for the the awesome hacks i can wait to test it out.

Happy new year everyone.
  • Happy New Year!!!! I'm ready for 2012. Go Go Go!!!
    20111224-P1050204.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 814K