Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Home Projector
  • Hi All,
    I am considering a projector for HD footage, blue ray, tv and games, (might consider 3D) there is a bewildering choice of options, I understand choice can be very personal.. re: lumens/contrast ratio/dlp/lcd/led etc..

Just wondered if anyone has experience or opinion on models and specs?
    Main consideration is quality, next consideration is value for money (looking to spend around £600 upto £1200ish)

Looked at:
    Epson EH TW3600
    Optima HD300x
    BenQ W1200

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • If you have the space, you can get incredible deals on 3 gun CRT projectors. Systems that brand new were $35,000 can be had for a few hundred dollars.
  • Here is the gh2 of pjs:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-HC4000-300-Inch-1080p-Projector/dp/B0044UF0PM

That is best picture for the money... competes w/ much higher class/cost pjs.
  • FGGU
    No. RGB component cables.
  • I extensively researched projectors and finally settled on an Epson 8700UB, which is fantastic. Here's a very important technical aspect that you need to consider - lens shift. Most lower price projectors do not have an adjustible lens shift. That means you're severely restricted in where you can place the projector in relation to the screen. Be sure to study the user manuals of your candidate projectors and see whether their fixed lens shift will work in your room.

One of the reasons I went with the Epson is that it has an adjustible lens shift in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This was essential because in my room the projector has to be placed off to the side of the screen. I believe the lowest price projector that has both horizontal and vertical lens shift is the Epson 8350.
  • Though - his main consideration is picture quality.*

8350 puts out a great picture, but the HC4000 is cinema king.
    Depends on your space - my personal experience is that it is very easy to set up without lens shift, and the set up is something you only have to do once. Unless the room shape is very unique (unmovable poles etc), lens shift is not that essential.
  • Projectors are also very interesting illustration of artifically inflated prices.
    Most of the control is done via DLP chips and LCD matrixes. Some via LSI used in them.
  • @Vitaliy
    What, you mean those light bulbs in the projectors don't cost $600 to manufacture?

• I mean that you can compare prices of projectors having just different native resolution.
  • I've been reading up on the 3-gun CRT projectors, they are very interesting. Most attractive in their arsenal is the fact that you don't get the "screen door" effect that is a given with DLP or LCD projectors (screen door being the dark grid that makes each pixel stand out). If you get the right one and set it up correctly, they CAN do 1080p. The blacks are obviously FAR superior to other setups, and contrary to popular belief, the tubes last a very long time. They should not be used for desktop setups as static images will burn in, and they are very heavy and require stationary setup, so no moving it once its set up. But if a dedicated home theatre setup is what you're after, it would seem that a CRT will make your GH2 footage look VERY good.

Mentioned by many who have both, is the reality that DLP and LCD projectors are built as disposable units. If one of those goes bad outside of warranty, it is usually cheaper to buy a new unit, whereas CRT projectors were built to last, and to be serviceable.

I don't have one, or space even to set one up . . . but I will be checking into them further when I do have space and money. LCD and DLP images are too sterile and digital for my taste.
  • The bulbs are very much inflated
    Get ready for laser Pjs; no more dimming bulb struggles
  • If you are considering a projector for home use, make sure the fan noise is not intrusive and the keystone is sufficient for placement. I've been looking for one with enough lumens to use in a larger room, for example to present a small video festival.
  • Look for a Panasonic AX100 on eBay with low hours on the bulb. This is what I use and although it isn't full HD you don't really notice, because the image looks great. Better colour than a DLP but as much contrast, sharper and no rainbow effect. Also the lens zoom and shift is well implemented and very useful.
  • @B3
    The DLP and LCD pj's I've owned have all been not worth keeping once the bulb goes and the bulbs don't last particularly long either. CRT's on the other hand will work until the end of time. They're not as bright, so light control is critical, but the image is amazing, like you say, jet black blacks, zero artifacts, extremely filmic. They're bulky though, I used to own a NEC with 9" guns, it weighed 200 pounds! I had to build a truss to hang it from. But I ended up liking the industrial look of the truss.
  • I have a Panasonic AX200U which like Andrew's AX100 is 720P but still puts out a fantastic picture. Re: screen-door effect, Panasonic's 3-chip LCD projectors have specially designed pixels that all but eliminate the screen-door effect. I'm not a fan of DLP projectors because I'm very sensitive to the color wheel artifacts but some folks don't notice them. When it comes time to replace the bulb on my AX200 (I'm a couple hundred hours into bulb #3), I'll probably upgrade to a Panny 1080P model.

Vincent

• At 1080p projection, SDE is not really the issue it was anymore, for either technology. The RBE of dlp though, is still noticeable to a few at 4x speed. For lcd, the problem of RGB panel convergence is gigantic. Most sold have misaligned convergence by a pixel or more. This can significantly reduce perceived resolution. While lens shift relies on quality optics, it is still better than keystone if you are forced to place the pj to the side of the screen.
    Many factors.
  • Thanks for the info, very useful :o)