Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Navitar CCTV lenses
  • Has anyone tried a Navitar? They are CCTV lenses, and render pretty nice images.
    Someone has offered me a 75mm /1.3, but am still gathering info, thinking about it.

How does it compare to Noktor primes?
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • Get the Navitar!
    I bought a pre-converted 75/1.3 in 2009.
    It's a great all-around lens. In fact, I'm waiting on my high speed Schaublin lathe to get here so that I can make some accessories for that particular lens.
  • @bubba

Interesting, what are you making? Is the Nav comparable to the Noktor, or it's better? 2nd hand copies are going at a fraction of a mint Noktor, and even then the Nok ain't all that great, in my opinion.
  • @bubba
    Got my copy. Very interesting lens, though as with all CCTV lenses, it's soft wide open. Feels very much like the Noktor, and behaves like it as well
  • any vignetting at this focal length?
  • Navitar 75mm 1.3. No vignette. Excellent bokeh. Image is very flat - low contrast. You need to file the first step a little bit in order to get infinity focus.
    If you dont want to, look for the 75mm 1.4 cctv lenses.
  • There is a thread about this lens (called Navitron, not Navitar, though...) on a french lumix forum w/ lot of pics and review (if you speak french :) )
    http://www.forumlumix.com/t57870-le-fil-des-lumineux-navitron-montc-dont-le-75mm-14
  • Apparently not every copy fails to focus at infinity. i haven't tried mine though, will update on this, but was reading some replies to the french guy - it seems he had a bad copy!! Also there is discussion that the huge rear glass would hit the light baffe(?), I don't see it in my copy. Would @bubba like to confirm this?
  • @zcream
    Ok just turned on my cam and shot some images across the street, focusing at the furthest point. Tack sharp at infinity : )

Think alot has to do with the condition of the copy u have, as well as the c-mount to m4/3 adaptor you're using.

@dizzbit
    no vignetting at this focal length. The 75mm was developed for 1 inch sensors, it's big enough to cover the Gh2.

Beautiful creamy bokeh. If you like Nokton 0.95, or even the Noktor, which the 75mm most resembles (some say they are from the same manufacturer), then you'd like the Nav.
  • man...this is feeding my LBA.

• Lens Buying Addiction : )
  • The lens is perfect for photo/portrait/outdoor panorama, etc.
    It is especially good in low light or with ND filters to give ultra skinny DOF.
    It is not a do-everything lens, but paired with the 12mm, 20mm, & 50mm it is extremely useful.
    My copy clears the sensor with room to spare, I suggest getting one now, because I don't see them making more or getting any cheaper.
    It's a keeper!
    I'm busy shaping deldrin rod for a lens cap...
  • Yeah, didn't know how sharp the lens is till I reviewed my cf card. I couldn't tell images taken with the Nav from those taken few days earlier with a Carl Zeiss 135mm. It's amazing. In fact, stopped down, I daresay it is even sharper than the CZ!

I concur with @bubba, if you can find a copy grab it now. There's one on ebay going for $160.

Just an aside: I had to choose from a couple of 85mm lenses: the Nav, Jupiter 9, Minolta, and a Contax. The minolta and c/y are grand but were way off my budget. The old Russian lens flares easily, and contrast is low as hell. So by elimination, I am glad I ended with this. Hobson's choice need not always be bad!
  • Hi people. I'm interested by Navitar zoom lenses. Would you recommend any of those for filming events like weddings ? Also, what c-mount to m4/3 adapter would you recommend with the lens itself ?

Thanks to answer